Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Friendship Triangles: 15 Beautiful Quilting Projects, Triangle Exchange Ideas, Easy, Step-by-step Technique [Paperback] >
  • Friendship Triangles: 15 Beautiful Quilting Projects, Triangle Exchange Ideas, Easy, Step-by-step Technique [Paperback]

• Friendship Triangles: 15 Beautiful Quilting Projects, Triangle Exchange Ideas, Easy, Step-by-step Technique [Paperback]

Old 10-30-2010, 12:22 PM

I purchased this book and I am really itching to get started with the quilt featured on the cover. My question is about the recommendations in the book. The author, Edyta Sitar, recommends the paper triangles. I know there are variations of these on the market, but the ones recommended by her are from the same publisher as the book. They are called Half Square Triangle Exchange Paper. Her reasoning for the paper, from what I can tell, is that if people were to participate in a triangle exchange, it would insure that the lines would meet and everyone would be swapping an exact measured piece. I was wondering if I should use them to insure my triangles line up. I am not a perfectionist and I see $10.00 on paper that is thrown out versus $10.00 in fabric such a waste. I don't mind measuring and cutting. In fact I enjoy it, so eliminating that step is not really a big deal to me. Has anyone here used any of these pre-made papers and if so what did you think about them?
    Old 10-30-2010, 12:34 PM

Yes, I am using Thangles for a BOM from my LQS. They help me keep them all the same size. I don't think I will use them again. There a lot of tips on the board that help you do the triangles without them.
    Old 10-30-2010, 12:35 PM

Too rich for my blood :!:
    Old 10-30-2010, 01:16 PM

I tried the papers once & I'm sure it was just me, but I found it slow going.
    If you use the search at top of this page, just type half square triangles to find several diff ways of making them.For a beginner, the method of making them a bit bigger, then squaring the block by trimming it down is one way.You don't have a lot of waste,but find the way that works for you.

PS....if you have a printer,there's a site on line that has free papers & you just print out as many as you need.
    Old 10-30-2010, 01:18 PM

Thanks. I had thought about trying to feed freezer paper through the printer and see how that goes.
    Old 10-30-2010, 01:26 PM

Maybe this will help....have heard of the freezer paper method, haven't tried it.

http://www.quiltingandwhatnot.ca/Hal...-Triangle.html

Originally Posted by poodlemom
    Thanks. I had thought about trying to feed freezer paper through the printer and see how that goes.