Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Frustrated >
  • Frustrated

• Frustrated

Old 04-29-2014, 06:17 AM

I have to agree with QuiltnMyra. Please finish the quilt and keep it for yourself, and don't bother making anything for the relatives, because I can just about guarantee that they won't appreciate the money, time and effort it takes to make a quilt.
    Old 04-29-2014, 06:20 AM

I'm pretty much with the others. If you don't love the quilt, don't finish it. I don't think I would make any quilts for the three of them either. The two girls seem to have issues with following through with what they start and your son is too picky. I would be thrilled with a quilt someone made for me, butterflies or not. It's clear he has no idea the work involved in trying to remove a piece from a quilt without damaging the fabric around it, let alone properly sewing a new piece in. To me that's a disaster waiting to happen.

Spend your time making what you enjoy because you enjoy it, not because someone wants you to. Finish the quilt if you like, but finish it the way you want it. If you like it someone else will too. If you find yourself forcing yourself to work on it you might want to ask yourself why and maybe just move on to a project you do enjoy.
    My 2 cents,
    Rodney
    Old 04-29-2014, 06:31 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster
    I had to laugh at Mary B's reply, but I agree. Make the quilt the way you want to make it, don't make it if you don't want to make it, and tell the son and daughter that they just lost out because you're tired of trying to please them.
    I too AGREE !!! Couldn't have said it any better than Mary B's reply!! People who don't quilt have no idea about the technical aspects of the process of making a quilt.
    Old 04-29-2014, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by pokeygirl
    Sounds like you have some ungrateful family members. I would just make it for myself.
    Ditto!! There are so many out there that would love a nice, warm & lovely quilt. Look at all those people who just lost all their belongings in the storms this week!!
    Old 04-29-2014, 07:00 AM

I'd pass all the blocks and fabrics on to someone else and let them complete the quilt. This is just me, YMMV, but I wouldn't be able to even look at the fabrics without feeling sad, cranky, annoyed, whatever. So I'd just get the dad-gummed thing out of my house and move on to happier things.
    Old 04-29-2014, 07:10 AM

Beat the children??
    Old 04-29-2014, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnMyra
    Stop saying "how high?" when these folk say "jump".
    Amen and amen! GrmmaNan, don't pick another stitch out! Either make this lovely quilt for yourself or pass it on to someone else to finish and enjoy. But whatever you do, don't give it to any of the people whom you mentioned. They are not quilt-worthy. They might wrap a refrigerator in it when they move next time. froggyintexas
    Old 04-29-2014, 09:43 AM

Lots of good advice here. I agree whole heartedly.
    Old 04-29-2014, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette
    I agree - it's their loss. Perhaps it's time to forget about the whole thing, as you don't want to keep thinking about their lack of gratitude every time you see it!

Pass the half-finished quilt on to your guild or some such. The money you spent on the fabric is long gone and you'll never get the time back.

Instead, use the time to make something you want. Now would be a good time to start one of those bucket list quilts - just for you. Happy quilting whatever you decide!
    Wonderful words of wisdom with which I totally agree. Put this one behind you and move on to something else.
    Old 04-29-2014, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnMyra
    Stop saying "how high?" when these folk say "jump".
    Oh, I very much agree! Make it your way and then keep it for you or give it to someone who will love it and appreciate it!

P.S. It can always come to my house for lots of love!