Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Frustrated >
  • Frustrated

• Frustrated

Old 04-29-2014, 10:34 AM

The real question here was: how to put the braid back together. I would show it to someone else; another quilter friend or such. Two heads are better than one, and you need a shoulder to cry on right now. Let someone else help you fix it, and then do with it however you wish, as others have suggested.
    Old 04-29-2014, 11:04 AM

I have to agree with all the previous comments. It sounds like you are being taken for granted and you do not deserve that from anyone......family or not. Only quilt what you want and steer away from the ungrateful. There are so many out there who would be thrilled to receive something hand made with love no matter the fabric, the design, color or "perfectness"of the stitching. Quilting should be fun.......so start concentrating on fun! You go, girl, and let us know what you decide. You have a "village" behind you!
    Old 04-29-2014, 12:17 PM

I am a little saddened by the fact that you were so happy with the quilt, and the your own personal 'quilt police' messed up what you liked. I would just divide the braids where you took some out, and rebuild them with the butterflies and make you a happy quilt. Don't let nay-sayers rain on your art! We like your work!
    Old 04-29-2014, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnMyra
    Stop saying "how high?" when these folk say "jump".
    I could not have said it better!
    Old 04-29-2014, 12:46 PM

I tell you, they must be hard to please. I will be your daughter and you make that quilt however you want and I will except it. That is not right in acting that way. I don't get much but what I get, I appreciate. If it is not what I would have liked to have had it doesn't matter cause when winter sets in I get all my stuff out to cover up with since I freeze all winter. Make the quilt to suit YOU.
    Old 04-29-2014, 02:09 PM
    Power Poster

Well, you could shoot your family members, but since that's not an option, I still might grumble about taking out butterfly fabric, how old is your son? I cannot offer you a suggestion, but maybe putting it away for a day or so and then the solution will come to you. Good luck. I have a similar story, my DS and DDIL knew that I was making a quilt for our DGD Zoe, and they told me to make it twin size. OK, I made it twin size, but thankfully made it a little extra big - thank goodness, as they wound up getting her a full size bed, so it was going to fit. She loved the quilt, but I barely finished quilting it before giving it to her Christmas Eve. Now the kids want me to make a quilt for their bed, but at least I now know that instead of a queen size quilt, it will have to be king size. Phew. Kids!!
    Old 04-29-2014, 04:35 PM

GrammaNan, I can totally sympathize with you on this...I tend to try and cater to everyone's wishes no matter what grief it causes myself, I think the others on the board are right, make it the way you like it and I am "sure" someone will still want it.
    Old 04-29-2014, 04:36 PM

Make the quilt the way you want it and keep it for yourself. Tell the others to take a long walk off a short pier.
    Old 04-30-2014, 07:12 AM
    sap

I was talking about making aprons and a woman said OH would make me one too. I responded with " don't u have a sewing machine??" I've learned to say NO without saying the word

I would have loaned her a sewing machine.
    Old 04-30-2014, 09:30 AM

when I work with students and they are concerned about any mistakes made to an item they are making as a gift, my comment is that the only words the recipient should say are Thank You. If they start inspecting or criticizing the gift - remove them from your gift list. There are so many, many folks out there who would be thrilled to receive an item you made for them. Concentrate on them! You can still have your big heart and kind soul, just not be pushed around.