Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fun at local quilt show. >
  • Fun at local quilt show.

• Fun at local quilt show.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:24 PM
    Power Poster

ha, ha. they wanted to see how the other half lived? oh well, they made it. Quilts stick to you!!
    Old 09-19-2018, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I didn't say in the first post but they were there to buy a quilt. Don't know why. One young lady said they wanted a real quilt not one sold in a store. another LOL.
    Hey, I give them credit for knowing the difference between the quilts we make and the Chinese imports you can buy for $50. Maybe they have prior experience with the one eighth inch seams shredding and the quilts falling apart in the first wash. A quilter I know has been approached to "fix" one of those disasters, lol. She said, "No can do. There're no seam allowances. You get what you pay for, sorry."
    Old 09-19-2018, 07:13 PM

I've only been quilting for a few months... Sewed my whole life thanks to a seamstress grandma and my mother who could rival my grandmother's skills. The quilt that inspired me was in a live auction at a fundraising event in the town next to us. And yes I bought it for far less than I think it's really worth but it is loved in my house :-) You can never beat hand made quality.[ATTACH=CONFIG]601353[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails img_1652-copy.jpeg  
    Old 09-19-2018, 08:26 PM

while they were perhaps less informed than most of us, I think it's great that they were there looking at quilts! While I admire the precision that goes into traditional quilts like a Baltimore Album (and would whole heartedly welcome the gift of one!) I too prefer many of the modern quilts. I think part of that is due to my love of quilting--and the way modern quilts typically have so much "negative space" to quilt away in.
    Old 09-19-2018, 09:02 PM
    Power Poster

When I first started quilting, I was ‘all about’ the modern quilts. Now that I’ve been quilting for several years, I’ve come to appreciate and love more traditional quilting.
    Old 09-19-2018, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    When I first started quilting, I was ‘all about’ the modern quilts. Now that I’ve been quilting for several years, I’ve come to appreciate and love more traditional quilting.
    For years I wanted to learn how to make a quilt but I just didn't like the "old fashioned " style especially because my home decor was totally modern. Then once I started just like sewbizgirl said I began to love traditional as well as the modern. Here I am 20 plus years and I make whatever design draws me to it.
    Old 09-20-2018, 02:15 AM

Love the beautiful house quilt! I can appreciate the amount of work that goes into a Baltimore Album, but I have too short of an attention span to make one myself. Currently working on a Hunters Star and after 36 blocks it's starting to wear on me.
    Old 09-20-2018, 02:16 AM

Kind of like you can buy just about anything you want but some things are like homemade bread versus store bought bread. Which do you prefer?
    Old 09-20-2018, 03:01 AM

And, I remember standing behind ladies at a quilt show in Lancaster, PA in the early '90's who said that machine quilted quilts shouldn't be allowed in the show! Ladies, we have come a long way, haven't we? I, for one, love them all! I always aspire to new things. I hope you are, also.
    Old 09-20-2018, 04:27 AM

Our daughter lives in Paducah and we go to the big Quilt Show every year. My husband said the first year that he thought the average age of the quilters was about 70. Fast forward to last year and he said that there were much younger ladies there - they had orange or blue or green or fuschia colored hair with tattoos and lots of piercings. Don't know what kinds of quilts they were interested in though - probably the modern ones.