Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fund raising for DGD >
  • Fund raising for DGD

• Fund raising for DGD

Old 04-13-2011, 01:33 AM

My oldest DGD (15yrs old) wants to go on a student exchange. New Zealand or Brazil are her choices although there are alot of options. The price varies from $5000.00 to $10000.00 for expenses and length of exchange. I am thinking of doing a quilt for her to auction to help with expenses. My questions are: Would you make 2 large lap quilts, one masculine and one feminine or one large queen size? Would you do traditional patterns like log cabins or dresden plates, or more contemporary like a bargello? Would you use very soft pastels or go for a more dramatic effect like black and whites? I have a ton of stash, so it wouldn't really cost me that much to do it, and I would really like to help her anyway that I can. With money be very tight right now, I can't afford the cash, but, I could make a quilt to raise some money for her.
    Old 04-13-2011, 01:50 AM
    Power Poster

Those are good questions, but I would think that anyone interested in a quilt would buy something that was pretty/beautiful but in nuetral colors so it would go in any house. Good luck with the auction.
    Old 04-13-2011, 02:43 AM

JMHO - I think the bargello in neutrals would be gorgeous with just a flash of the unexpected - like a muted, yellow in a gray/white/black pallette. Seems like modern and neutrals is a popular decorating theme.
    Old 04-13-2011, 02:52 AM

I have made a few quilts for fundraisers. I have found that the larger quilts raise the most funds, so I would go with the queen size. I would also go with neutral colors. Good luck !!
    Old 04-13-2011, 04:02 AM

We did this for our DD for a trip to Spain and Italy, and made $800.00. make sure everyone who is selling the tickets has a picture of the quilt no matter which one you make. I promise it will sell like no other raffle item. Good Luck
    Old 04-13-2011, 04:26 AM

In our area stars seem to sell well in raffles. I agree with the larger quilt. I always do one for our school carnival and the moms are the ones to buy tickets and they want the larger ones. Neutral works good or school colors. Good luck
    Old 04-13-2011, 05:05 AM

I live near Pittsburgh PA so anything with a sports-related theme sells well. Steelers wallhanging, table runners seem to bring in tons of money. Larger quilts in this area don't seem to do as well. We always joke that around here you could paint a rock black and gold and someone would buy it.
    I think if you know your demographic (sports fans, art lovers, farmers, etc.) and make something with that in mind, people would support your worthy cause.
    Good luck!
    Old 04-13-2011, 08:32 AM

I always thought that a nice Christmas quilt or a holiday quilt would do well at a raffle. Everyone likes holiday stuff. If a regular quilt is made then you have people who don't like the color or it doesn't match their decor. Just a thought Also I think these holiday quilts would do the best in throw size.
    Old 04-13-2011, 08:35 AM

I remember someone doing this in our area.....they made a mens quilt with a hunting theme I think....it sold for alot of money. The men seemed to go crazy and spend alot of money. YOu could do golfing or some other theme too
    Old 04-13-2011, 09:06 AM

I you decide to go with the two large lap quilts do one with a traditional pattern and more neutral colors. And then make the other one more contemporary and pick a different color theme. Keep them both strikingly different. That way you hit the best of both worlds and everyone is happy. Keep them gender neutral and you should be able to sell the tickets to everyone!