Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fusible Batting vs spray adhesive >
  • Fusible Batting vs spray adhesive

• Fusible Batting vs spray adhesive

Old 02-15-2016, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy
    Can you explain this further? I'd love to understand how this works. You can do this on a larger quilt? I only spray baste small ones or lap size at the largest.
    I took the idea from using a design board. My husband bought me 2 large sheets of foam board insulation that I taped together to make it wide enough to hold a king size. I pin the backing on the board with straight pins, and smooth out all the wrinkles and folds. I spray that with basting spray and spread the batting out over the backing. Then I spray the batting and smooth the quilt top on. If it gets a wrinkle its easy enough to lift and smooth out. I usually let it hang until the next day before I take it down. I've used my board from crib size to king size quilts. Step stool helps reaching the top. So much easier on my back.
    Old 02-15-2016, 06:34 PM

I always iron my quilt sandwich after basting with 505. It sets the spray and gives you an opportunity to ensure the layers do not have any trouble spots where tucks might happen. It's still repositional and effective after ironing. I iron from the top first and from the center of the quilt outward, so if there is an excess to cause a pucker or pleat you can work it to the outer edges, lift and correct the layer. Then repeat on the back. This was recommended by Ann Petersen in her Craftsy class, and since I've never had a pucker or pleat after quilting, I have to think it works pretty well! I have also never had a problem with adhesive build up or even depositing slightly on the machine needle with either 505 or Hobbs fusible 80/20 batting. I, personally, would not recommend the fusible batting for anything larger than a single bed size quilt as it is a bit difficult to work with on large areas getting it to lay smoothly and you must press it with an iron to activate the adhesive. It's great for small projects!

Last edited by Kwiltr; 02-15-2016 at 06:39 PM.
    Old 02-16-2016, 04:06 AM

I have never used the fusible batting. But I use the spray adhesive regularly. I love it and never find a problem with my needle getting gummy. The only time that happened was when I was learning how to use the spray and I used too much. Now that I "trust" the spray to do it's job, I can use less and have no problems at all.
    Old 02-16-2016, 06:03 AM

I love spray basting and have never had a tuck or wrinkle, or residue. I use fusible batting for wall hangings, tote bags etc., not quilts, but that's just me.
    Old 02-16-2016, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23
    I use 505 spray, and I've never had a problem with residue. We use spray basting for our charity quilts at my guild, and so there are lots of people spraying and the immediately quilting, with no problems.
    Me to! I did try fusible once but it seems too hard to iron even a small wall hanging let alone a large top
    Also I thought the fusible made the quilt too stiff.
    Old 02-16-2016, 08:23 AM
    Power Poster

I like fusible spray. have used fusible batting fine. no gumming my needle. i used Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 batting , both fusible and non fusible. sprays, 505 i like best but Sulky is good too. just move arm as spraying and use sparingly like hair spray. let sit awhile before taking to the sewing machine. washes out fine.
    regular fusible batting will feel a bit stiff but not much. helps keep things smooth while you quilt. i use a folding table, place my quilt layers on it. take a six inch base board and fold the quilt up on it, folding over board and top as I go. Then spray and unfold board and top and lightly patting down.,spraying, moving, and patting down. etc. works well. move the quilt over that you've finished and do the other side. Then the opposite ends until all is fused.

Last edited by nativetexan; 02-16-2016 at 08:26 AM.
    Old 02-16-2016, 11:18 AM

I used fusible batting on fabric for pillows and found it shrunk enough that I rewarmed the fabric and peeled off the batting and then reapplied. I usually use spray 505 with a few straight pins and pinmoors.
    Old 02-17-2016, 06:09 AM

I also stitch baste. I have too much trouble with the pins so stitching has proven to be the fastest method for me. I do have a can of 505, but the lid has never been removed.

Last edited by Aurora; 02-17-2016 at 06:12 AM.
    Old 02-17-2016, 09:48 AM

You ladies are so helpful. I appreciate you over and over as I read your generous and informative posts. Thank you again and again!