Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is the general public really that ignorant? >
  • Is the general public really that ignorant?

• Is the general public really that ignorant?

Old 09-01-2013, 04:18 AM
    FLQ

People who don't sew have NO idea of the work it takes to make a quilt. Some see a mass produced quilted bedspread at a big box store for $49.99 and think that's the price a hand made quilt should be. I'd say some folks just haven't a clue.
    Old 09-01-2013, 04:33 AM

They are just not thinking!
    And I agree that it may have more to do with how much they are willing to pay than with how little they value our craftsmanship.

My neighbor does beautiful woodworking - Celtic knot open work wall art out of a single piece of wood. Are his prices too high? Not for the expertise and experience going into it, but for my budget, sadly true.

This is part of why I gift what I make. Plus I want to do it when I want to, how I want to and only if I want to. Some gifts are given several years after the original intended birthday, Christmas or whatever.
    Old 09-01-2013, 04:34 AM

I will not quilt for money. I only make quilts for people I love. There is too much blood, sweat and tears(not to mention the $) that go into a quilt. At least for me.
    Old 09-01-2013, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mimiqwerty
    Perhaps people think a woman quilter is just "sewing" but a male quilter is an "artist."
    I think this attitude does prevail a bit, and the evidence is right here somewhere in this thread! Someone said something along the lines of why would I charge for something I do as a hobby? Because I'm worth it, is my response. I will give gifts freely to those I love, but if a stranger or acquaintance wants to pay me, then I'm going to charge what I'm worth. I am skilled and fabric isn't cheap.

My husband came up with a very good analogy. He said Grandma Moses didn't paint to try and make a living. She painted because she enjoyed creating something beautiful. Does that mean that if I want to buy one of her paintings, I should only offer $20 because that's what the paint and canvas are worth?

(Yes, he is a keeper and no, you can't have him. Lol.)

Originally Posted by tessagin
    The woman opened her mouth and said very rudely to my MIL "Well it's not like you're a professional and what does your DIL know?" MIL stated that "Evidently, no longer than I've known her, she values me more than you and we've been friends (I thought) for many years." She went ahead and gave the afghans for the wedding presents but nothing more. The weddings have since past and she got a "Thank you card saying "Thanks for the afghans but since they're not our style we will donate them to the local shelter.
    Wow. That has to be the absolute rudest thing I have ever heard of.
    Old 09-01-2013, 09:38 AM

H. L. Mencken said, "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."
    Old 09-01-2013, 09:51 AM

Default Is the general public really that ignorant?

My MIL has made many afghans for many members of her family. When I saw her earlier this summer she was working on a couple and was almost finished. She said they were shower gifts and then she would have to get a wedding gift. My jaw nearly dropped. I told her I thought the afghans were plenty "nuff" to cover for the shower and the wedding. I wish I had taken a photo. One was a beautiful white background with floral and the other was a light green background with floral for queen-sized beds. I did not realize that the mother of both of these recipients was sitting right in the same room. Open mouth insert foot all the way to the hip was my next move. She told me how much yarn she had used and how many hours she put into it. I told her then how much I thought her gift was a minimum. $650.00 for each afghan. She had done some applique. The woman opened her mouth and said very rudely to my MIL "Well it's not like you're a professional and what does your DIL know?" MIL stated that "Evidently, no longer than I've known her, she values me more than you and we've been friends (I thought) for many years." She went ahead and gave the afghans for the wedding presents but nothing more. The weddings have since past and she got a "Thank you card saying "Thanks for the afghans but since they're not our style we will donate them to the local shelter. She sent them a reply asking for them back (both). She said she would get them a gift certificate to a store of their choice to replace. If she gets them back they are going to her daughters who appreciate everything she does for them. DH wanted one but she was already working on one for us. I am excited but am still hoping she gets the other 2 back. Her girls don't know they may be the recipients. Itold her it would be our secret. That way no one would be disappointed. I think I've brought a bit of a dragon rise out of my MIL. My SILs have said they don't know what happened but after my visit, she changed. She now tells her kids she did this or that because she's worth it. She absolutely is. She gave birth to my husband which is her lifetime gift to me.
    This attitude positively infuriates me! But, it's not only the general public! When my aunt was admitted to long-term care, we (the family living in the area) were trying to pack up and distribute/donate her stuff, she had an embroidered chicken-scratch alphabet quilt in blue and white checked gingham with sashing a perfectly matched blue, together with a number of quilt blocks. My SIL said, "Oh, just throw those away", to which I replied "When hell freezes over!" The embroidered quilt had not had binding done. I ended up being the recipient of that one, and the quilt blocks I hand delivered to my cousin who has her own quilting business in NW Oklahoma! My aunt, when she was able to, was truly an artist, and a professional in every sense of the word. She's now 86 and suffering from Alzheimers Disease, but I treasure her works of art because she created them! Okay, "enuf said" from me -- but anyone who belittles the creation of home-made things such as afghans and quilts, loses my respect!

Jeanette Frantz
    Old 09-01-2013, 09:59 AM

I guess you make a quilt(?) for $75, if you use cheater fabric. I agree with you, the quality of a quilt for that price is VERY questionable. Truly , you get what you pay for.......................
    Old 09-01-2013, 10:04 AM

My MIL has made many afghans for many members of her family. When I saw her earlier this summer she was working on a couple and was almost finished. She said they were shower gifts and then she would have to get a wedding gift. My jaw nearly dropped. I told her I thought the afghans were plenty "nuff" to cover for the shower and the wedding. I wish I had taken a photo. One was a beautiful white background with floral and the other was a light green background with floral for queen-sized beds. I did not realize that the mother of both of these recipients was sitting right in the same room. Open mouth insert foot all the way to the hip was my next move. She told me how much yarn she had used and how many hours she put into it. I told her then how much I thought her gift was a minimum. $650.00 for each afghan. She had done some applique. The woman opened her mouth and said very rudely to my MIL "Well it's not like you're a professional and what does your DIL know?" MIL stated that "Evidently, no longer than I've known her, she values me more than you and we've been friends (I thought) for many years." She went ahead and gave the afghans for the wedding presents but nothing more. The weddings have since past and she got a "Thank you card saying "Thanks for the afghans but since they're not our style we will donate them to the local shelter. She sent them a reply asking for them back (both). She said she would get them a gift certificate to a store of their choice to replace. If she gets them back they are going to her daughters who appreciate everything she does for them. DH wanted one but she was already working on one for us. I am excited but am still hoping she gets the other 2 back. Her girls don't know they may be the recipients. Itold her it would be our secret. That way no one would be disappointed. I think I've brought a bit of a dragon rise out of my MIL. My SILs have said they don't know what happened but after my visit, she changed. She now tells her kids she did this or that because she's worth it. She absolutely is. She gave birth to my husband which is her lifetime gift to me.
    I am sorry for being so ignorant, but over here in Uk, I am not sure what an Afghan is. Could someone please put a photo of one on the forum. I really would appreciate it.
    Old 09-01-2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by moonrise
    I'm doing my first craft fair in October, and am already bracing myself for the folks who think my prices are "too high". My lap quilts range from $40-$60, which is a STEAL, but I'm sure I'll hear plenty of the "but I can get one at Walmart for $25" remarks. I figure, let 'em go ahead and buy one at Walmart. The ones I've seen are poorly made, and constructed of thin fabrics. When it falls apart after 3 washings, they better not come crying to me! (And they SURE better not ask me to repair it! LOL!)

For the WallyWorld people, I'd be tempted to write up a sheet with 10 nearby Walmarts, their addresses and their phone numbers.
    Old 09-01-2013, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle
    I value my time and I would not give it away. Your quote was low. We get $.015 per square inch just for quilting in this area and $.30 per linear inch for binding (finished by hand) that doesn't include thread, batting or fabric, nor your time to make it.
    I don't mind a bit doing binding. If anyone asked me to bind (with their supplies) for .30 per inch----------I'D DO IT!