Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Getting back on track . . . >
  • Getting back on track . . .

• Getting back on track . . .

Old 04-03-2010, 06:10 AM

I just get up a bit early and spend as much time as I can in my sewing room. You sometimes, just have to make time.
    Old 04-03-2010, 06:15 AM

BellaBoo wrote "I remember the days when all I had time to do was work, sleep and eat. I don't miss them at all"

Neither do I but I sure miss that paycheck, LOL! May in Jersey
    Old 04-03-2010, 06:30 AM

I also teach school, and by the time I get home I am much too tired to sew. I used to try, but when I'm tired I make lots of mistakes, then have to spend time "reverse sewing", so found it's better to read the board and work in time on the weekends. I am looking forward to summer vacation, 1 more year of teaching, then permanent vacation and not so many worries about finding time to quilt.
    Old 04-03-2010, 05:34 PM
    Power Poster

It used to be a big problem with me when I worked five days a week, but now I work three twelve hour days I have four days a week off so I can spend at least one day a week quilting.
    Old 04-04-2010, 09:06 AM

Yes. I teach as well. This coming summer should be my first without any coursework or other commitments for quite some time. I am really, really looking forward to it! I have been able to finish a few small UFOs lately and surprise, I really am not finishing-phobic after all, it's all been a matter of finding the time to relax and enjoy the process.
    Old 04-04-2010, 10:12 AM

I work a 40 hour a week job and have 3 kids under 9, one of them with disabilities. I only have 2 days off a week and I try to dedicate some of them to stitching. Because one of my sons is very "time" oriented, we have scheduled my stitching time into our activity schedule. I can take anywhere from 4-6 hours a day, with breaks, to stitch the 2 days I have off. I can get a lot done, at first it was very robotic and I had to come up with things to do to fill my sewing time, but within a couple weeks I was used to it and I can get a TON done. With that schedule, I cranked out 14 quilts last year.

That's just machine time. During the week, after the boys are in bed, I hand quilt in front of the tv, or do some type of handwork, for an hour or two to relax before I go to bed.
    Old 04-04-2010, 12:03 PM
    Google Goddess

Just make time each day so you can quilt! Happy Quilting!
    Old 04-04-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Since I don't work anymore I have lots of quilt time. I remember the days when all I had time to do was work, sleep and eat. I don't miss them at all.
    i'm with you, i don't miss those stressful days at all when i worked full time, had 2 kids and a sick husband. so ladies, whatever your ages, nothing ever remains the same, time passes, kids grow up and leave home, husbands die, then you're old and alone and have all the time you want to sew and quilt. seems like i can waste more time and not achieve anything as it takes me longer now to clean house, have to rest often, frequent breaks. so enjoy your youth even if you are run ragged. just enjoy every day no matter how rushed you are cause some day you won't be able to rush, lol.
    donna
    Old 04-04-2010, 12:16 PM

I thought when I retired I would have plenty of time for quilting. Wrong!!! I take care of my 15 month old grandson during the day while my son and DIL teach. By the time he leaves in the afternoon I am exhausted. I love the precious time I have with him however it is a full time job. During the summer I try to visit my other grandson in KY. On the weekend I try to squeeze in time.