Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Getting discouraged >
  • Getting discouraged

• Getting discouraged

Old 08-13-2009, 11:07 AM

I appreciate the encouragement from all ya'll. I wasn't going to quit just only do small stuff. I am ripping out the top 16 blocks and sewed 4 together 4 times to quilt as ya go and none of the four by four blocks were the same size. I think I am having problems cutting. I am had 2 rotar-suff surgeries and broken one are 3 times .... Maybe I am letting the ruler slip when I think I am cutting consistent. I plan to measure each time I cut before and after.... Thank again. Karen WV :) :thumbup:
    Old 08-13-2009, 11:15 AM

I just wanted to add that pressing and squaring after each step saves a whole lot of time with the seam ripper. Lisette made a good point about basting, too. I always baste before doing curves. You may want to visit a dollar store and get some of the clear rubber circles you put under lamps for the bottom of your ruler (rubber cement works, too) to keep them from slipping.

Like anything else, it gets easier as you practice.

I am not a fan of quilt as you go.
    If you have even attempted the quilt as you go method, you are a pretty experienced quilter (whether you feel like it or not <g>)
    that idea about the totes ... that is a fun thing to make, and they are ALWAYS welcome.
    I finally figured out if I could quilt as I went, I was using more energy and more time than I would if I would just make some blocks, put them together, cut the backing, cut the batting, pin the sandwich , and practice straight line quilting on the thing to begin with ... walking foot helps with that ...
    you are doing fine. I will stop overwhelming you <g>

I agree with Roben- try an Eleanor Burns Quilt. They are very easy to follow and very "generous" directions! Even I was able to make a quilt that looks good!

And remember that most non quilters are never going to notice the mistakes and quilters will all understand, because we've all been there! Just remember that once it is all together, what looked like big mistakes on a little block are now little mistakes on a big quilt!

Good luck and remembe rto post pictures. It's great to get the encouragement and a fresh set of eyes can help you see the positives onf what you've done. And there may be some suggestions to avoid rip outs!
    Old 08-13-2009, 11:28 AM

and if you can't find a class local or just have problems getting somewhere weekly (me!) then try an online class. I took a beginners class from here and I really learned a lot.
    http://www.quiltuniversity.com/index.html
    Old 08-13-2009, 11:33 AM

I'm looking at having rotator cuff surgery in the very near future, so I can understand the problems you're having with cutting fabric without letting the ruler shift. Do you double fold your fabric so that you're only cutting 11", instead of 22"? That helps me. Of course, you really have to make sure that the fold is straight. Other than that, you might try to get a sympathetic friend to do your cutting for you.

Make sure you're seam allowance is 1/4" I have a foot with a little guide on the side for each of my machines and wouldn't piece without it. Press every time you finish a step, and measure and square up after each step. I had a friend who never pressed, and her blocks never came out right. But she'd been quilting for 10+ years before I started, so she knew it all, regardless of what I would say.

I took a class on quilt as you go, and was told to cut the batting and backing at least 1" larger on each side before quilting. Then square up the quilted blocks before sewng them together. I use spray adhesive to baste all three layers and that seems to work well for me.
    Old 08-13-2009, 01:01 PM

Don't give up! Just eat a piece of chocolate and try again.
    Old 08-13-2009, 01:13 PM

Taking a class helps. Sewing with friends also helps. Check your measurements. Use the same ruler all the way through a project! You might want to consider a GoCutter if you are having difficulty cutting, althoug they can be rather pricey if you are not going to continue quilting. Try it out at a LQS if possible. One of our shops lets people use hers if they buy the supplies at her shop.
    It can be very discouraging when it doesn't turn out as you picture, but mine never do either. I love them anyway, and they keep getting better! :?
    Old 08-13-2009, 01:15 PM

Quilting has definitely saved my sanity as well. I've been quilting for less than 2 years and have made numerous mistakes. I think the thing that has helped the most is making the mistakes and having a more experienced quilter explain to me what I did wrong, then I practice the technique to get it right. Don't give up, there's light at the end of the tunnel! :D
    Old 08-13-2009, 01:29 PM

Agreed----DO NOT GIVE UP!!!

Take some pressure off. I had overwhelmed myself for a few years. I did a class or two, but I wanted my attempts to be "perfect". I knew I was already going to be an outstanding candidate for mistakes. I didn't know how to correct them, so I optioned not to forge ahead. I'd sit in my room, filled with gorgeous treasures and countless gadgets that would help make that perfect quilt and just think of how lovely it would look---if someone else did it.

Then, just recently, I just decided I had enough. So I got out scraps and pieces I'd cut and just started slapping them together to practice. I paid no mind to making exact 1/4" seams or cutting the pieces exactly even. I was just doing it for the pure fun, just to hear that machine stitch together something I picked out. Then, I got one of my many books and picked out a simple block pattern, enlarged it, pulled out fabric that I liked OK but wasn't crazy about and began cutting and sewing, winging it as I went. The result was that I liked it and turned out better than I thought. It's inspired me to just continue.

And yes, I did my share of ripping out too.

Please, just keep going! Fortunately this board is here for the benefit of all of us, to help educate and support all our efforts in this wonderful art form. If it doesn't work one way, there are other options to make it work, just takes time to try them out to see what works best for you. Once you find it, there's no stopping!