Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Getting discouraged >
  • Getting discouraged

• Getting discouraged

Old 08-13-2009, 01:34 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by wichypoo
    I've seen quilters throw stuff together and it's awesome.
    Appearances can be deceiving. I'm sure a lot of that "throwing" is based on lots and lots of practice (and a lot of "reverse sewing" in their process).

If rotary cutting distorts your pieces (and I have slipped with my ruler - so I understand) then old-fashioned templates may be easier/better for your situation. It also helps to remeasure the finished blocks before attaching them in rows. Sometimes, you can trim to fit.

Just keep on trying - and if small pieces work for you for now, then make wallhangings, potholders, tabletoppers, etc. THere's a gazillion patterns - Have fun.
    Old 08-13-2009, 06:03 PM

Can you tell us where you are exactly having problems?
    Can you take a beginning quilting class at your local quilting shop or a JoAnns?
    There are alot of options to start you on the road to where you would like to go....just ask and the people here can help you.
    Kirsten
    Old 08-13-2009, 06:18 PM
    Power Poster

Thanks for that link ginnie6. That sounds like something that can work for me and my crazy schedule.
    Old 08-13-2009, 06:30 PM

Karen, I understand the frustration, and I'm sure just about everyone here does. Just check out my recent post on my uneven sashings.... The seam ripper was my friend....
    But - I eventually got it looking good enough. You all just didn't hear my spitting & growling, while I was doing it! lol!!!!!

And some days, when I'm stressed, it seems like I can't focus to save my soul, and use my seam ripper repeatedly.

"If rotary cutting distorts your pieces (and I have slipped with my ruler - so I understand) then old-fashioned templates may be easier/better for your situation. It also helps to remeasure the finished blocks before attaching them in rows. Sometimes, you can trim to fit. "

Haven't I read something on here about using sandpaper, to stop your ruler from sliding? Can't remember now what it was!
    Also, I have that slotted June Taylor 'Shape Cut', has slots every 1/2", and you just run your rotary cutter down the slots.... I would be completely lost without it!! Maybe that would work for you?

Keep asking questions, post some pictures of the problem if you can, and I'm sure someone will be able to help you through it! This board is a wealth of caring, freely sharing people!! :-)

Old 08-13-2009, 08:28 PM

Hey those aren't quilts with mistakes, they are quilts with character! Quilting has really helped me let go of my perfectionist tendancies. It's a good thing!
    Old 08-13-2009, 08:41 PM

Don't quit! I agree with OMAK. I was one of those that if it wasn't perfect the first time :roll: :roll: I would rip out and start over. Now, I play my fav. music, take my time with as few interuptions as possible and step back occasionally and take a good look at my progress and even when things get wonky, oh well life is too short to be 'perfect'
    I too am in WV. so you are not alone friend. Find a teacher, guild, or take lessons somewhere. It really helps to have the training from ones more knowledgeable. Hang in their! :D
    Old 08-13-2009, 08:42 PM

Nice reply Patsy. I agree. Easier said than done but can be accomplished.
    Old 08-14-2009, 04:14 AM

Karen,
    Please don't quit! I understand how you feel. I too, have been at this about 2 yrs. I think the best thing, is to find a buddy, a sewing group, you can learn so much! As far as the ruler slipping, you can buy like sticky sand paper (you can find it at a hardware store,sanding disk sand paper is what it is call, just need a bit) and put on the back of the rulers. It really helped me, my ruler doesn't slide anymore, my measurements are so accurate Now!Which saves me from ripping out! Give it a try! So many little tips that are helpful! I got to get ready for work! Let us know how your doing! Most of all don't be so hard on yourself!!!
    Old 08-14-2009, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by wichypoo
    I appreciate the encouragement from all ya'll. I wasn't going to quit just only do small stuff. I am ripping out the top 16 blocks and sewed 4 together 4 times to quilt as ya go and none of the four by four blocks were the same size. I think I am having problems cutting. I am had 2 rotar-suff surgeries and broken one are 3 times .... Maybe I am letting the ruler slip when I think I am cutting consistent. I plan to measure each time I cut before and after.... Thank again. Karen WV :) :thumbup:
    Quits don't have to be perfect. Every "mistake" makes it more unique. Seams don't always have to match, unless you are making a future award winning quilt, and the majority of the quilts we make don't fall in that category. who cares about corners, seams, and all that stuff when laying under the quilt that Mom or Grandma made? Actually, most people don't even know that the corners are supposed to match or that the blocks are supposed to be certain size and they are off a bit. Only you know where the mistakes are and with time, even you will forget.

On the other hand, You may want to look into other kind of quilting, just to relax yourself for a while. I am a big fan of Ricky Tims. He does non traditional quilting with very impresive techniques some of which require no measurements, no matching, just some cutting, sewing and enjoying. You can see his cavemen quilts following links from www.thequiltshow.com.

Maria
    Old 08-14-2009, 04:21 AM

Don't give up. Things do get better.