Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Getting EQ worth it? >
  • Getting EQ worth it?

• Getting EQ worth it?

Old 04-08-2011, 01:55 PM
    MTS
    Banned

JoannaF already sold her EQ5 - the sale thread was up for a few minutes and then.....GONE. ;-)
    Old 04-08-2011, 03:25 PM

I had to install 5 first (get new disks from EQ because I couldn't find mine), then 6 and then 7. Couldn't skip a step since all were upgrades. I started with 3 or 4 and have upgraded each time there is a new version out.

EQ5 is great as a standalone program and a learning program. No, you wouldn't be able to reregister it in your name if you bought used and wouldn't be able to upgrade from it. But, I still think it is the best program for quilting design out there. Probably would think 7 is best if I had time to really learn it. Anyway, all three are on my computer and are working just fine. I recommend you spend the money and buy whichever version you can and enjoy it.
    Old 04-08-2011, 04:04 PM
    MTS
    Banned

Originally Posted by gypsylady5
    I had to install 5 first (get new disks from EQ because I couldn't find mine), then 6 and then 7. Couldn't skip a step since all were upgrades. I started with 3 or 4 and have upgraded each time there is a new version out..
    Please see my post upthread.
    If you have EQ7(even as an upgrade), you only need the license number from your copy of EQ6 (and that can be from an upgrade version as well). It does NOT have to be installed on your hard drive to install the upgrade EQ7.

I hope you never need to do a reinstall, but if you do, you can just install the EQ7 (and supply the EQ6 number when prompted).

HTH.
    Old 04-08-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
    You could try posting an ISO request in the Classified section. I've seen them before but as the business is conducted via PM, I don't know how successful the buyers were.
    I did an ISO post to the board the other day and received two replies - one for an EQ5 and the other for an EQ7. I just finished the transaction to buy the EQ5 from a board member here!! After looking at the various versions I decided that 5 had everything that I needed so why spend the extra $$.

Can't wait to get it!!
    Old 04-08-2011, 04:06 PM
    MTS
    Banned

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    Can't wait to get it!!
    Enjoy it! Glad you got a good deal.

And you can spend a couple/few years playing around with it before you "feel" you might need more, whatever more is. EQ9 might be out by then. ;-)
    Old 04-09-2011, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
    I suck when it comes to drawing templates. I suck when it comes to the math of figuring out how big the pieces should be (with the seam allowance). Which is unfortunate because my original quilt ideas need templates. And I'm terrible at figuring out yardage (foolishly thought I could make a decent sized quilt with a total of two yards of fabric---if that's any indication).

So I want to get EQ so I can make templates for my designs without having to ask a board member for help. But I went on the website and its like $189 for the software. EBay didn't give me anything cheaper either. Even the older versions are well over $100. For that kind of money I could buy a hard drive for my XBox and probably a cheap game (not even including my discount at Wal-Mart). On the other hand I really need something that I can draw out my blocks, make templates, and figure yardage.

Is EQ really worth the price?
    Here in Australia it is well over $200 to buy it but I got mine before they went into the shops for your$189 Australian, I say it is well worth the money as I have used both EQ6 & EQ7 a lot since getting them. You can scan your fabric into the computer and print it out where I wish it to be( good before cutting good fabric)
    Old 04-09-2011, 04:06 AM

I just lost my reply. But the bottom line is, It is worth every penny. My advice, buy it new, EQ7, register, then have a really good time. Designing my own quilts is now hassle free. I failed 7th grade art, can hardly draw a stick person. Don't have to worry about making expensive poor fabric choices now.
    Old 04-09-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bottle Blonde
    I wanted a design program, but not one that was so advanced it would be over my head and stressful to learn. So I bought the Quilt Wizard for $20 - I found it at amazon.com and I love it. I can make a new design in a short time - there are more than enough fabric/color/block combinations to keep me happy. It will create templates and figure yardage, too. I may upgrade to the EQ someday, but I don't think I need to --- I'm happy with Quilt Wizard.
    I have the Quilt Design Wizard also. It does fine for me.
    Old 04-13-2011, 06:28 PM

Absolutely love mine. Got it at allbrands.com. Do a search separately for a coupon code and you can usually get a few more dollars off
    Old 04-22-2011, 06:40 PM

Honestly - I like Quilt Pro better. It is a little cheaper, and I find it much easier to work with. Most of the short comings of the program have been solved in the newest version.
    They have other programs on that website as well that are not as complicated and cost a little less. Check them out
    WWW.quiltpro.com