• Getting less than you paid for... >
  • Getting less than you paid for...

• Getting less than you paid for...

Old 08-31-2011, 03:18 PM

thousands of bolts

quilt fabric closeouts

whittles fabric

and

fabric.com with a coupon and free shipping is very inexpensive.

also

connecting threads but i don't shop there i don't like their fabric but many people on this forum do and you can find fabric for under $3 a yard.

then of course, all the shops that offer coupons, for example rented mule has a coupon now and you can buy fabric for around $5.50 a yard.

nancys notions has hoffman batiks on sale for $6.50.

its just a matter of knowing when and where to shop online and to sign up for the newsletters for the coupon codes.
    Old 08-31-2011, 03:22 PM

I had bought some fabrics from Missouri Star Quilts and did notice they had added an extra inch to each of the fabrics I bought. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not, but its nice because once I got my fabrics washed, ironed, and folded in half the cut edges do notline up exactly so I'll have to cut off at least an inch.

Unless I'm buying fat quarters or quarter yards for scrappy quilts then I buy a little bit extra because I can screw up the cutting. In that case I'm not going to go nuts over two inches I'm missing. So I'm paying for two inches I'm not getting, but that two inches is worth...what....$.50 on a $10 a yard fabric? I'm not going to flip out over $.50 worth of fabric. But if the customer service is terrible and the employees are rude and they cut me really short THEN I'll throw a fit.
    Old 08-31-2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by okiepastor
    Originally Posted by kathy
    Quiltmaker, that sounds like my mom, she never says anything and just goes away quietly unhappy.
    The stores should understand that the average unhappy customer tells at least TWENTY people about their bad experience. That is a LOT of ill will!
    Unless they're signed up to this quilting board. Then that unhappy customer tells at least ONE HUNDRED people about their bad experiance.
    Old 08-31-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by emsgranny
    Has anyone else had the problem of a yard really isnt a yard anymore? It seems the employees have been taught to be very specific when cutting fabric and not "over"cut a yard of fabric!! Alot of time I will buy what I think is three yards and it ends up being 2 yards 34-35 inches!! I guess its not a really big deal but over time this adds up!! Also if I try using it for backing I come up short just that little bit!!! Frustrating to me. Wondered if anyone else has that problem. Thanks cheryl :D

If fabric is cut, I can always count on losing at least 4 inches and at times up to 8 or 9. Due to fabric being wrapped on the bolt carelessly by the manufacturer.
    Old 08-31-2011, 03:45 PM

This is exactly why I prefer not to shop at JoAnns. Fabric on their bolts is NEVER cut straight to begin with (pity the last buyer) and my guess is that the clerks are trained to short everyone by an inch or so. Just joking about the training. Do you remember when fabric was always snipped & then torn on the grain?

All my LQS cut at least 2" over the yard. -- JoAnns generally cuts 2" shorter.
    Old 08-31-2011, 03:49 PM

I just shopped at a new (to me) LQS for the first time today. The lady who cut my fabric was not as generous as the store I generally patronize, but she still gave me about an inch extra on each cut.

Their prices are higher than I'm used to paying, but I also haven't been into my other store in a few months (no spare $ with which to play, plus it's well out of my way to just go on a whim), so I don't know if they've raised their prices or not.

I'll probably still continue to go to the other store: larger selection, generous cuts, plus that's where I get my machines serviced, and they also give a discount to ASG members, whereas this new store does not.