Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Getting less than you paid for... >
  • Getting less than you paid for...

• Getting less than you paid for...

Old 03-16-2011, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by KarenR
    There was a post on here about long cuts from a company-
    Which company was that? I will have to do a search.
    Fabric.com advertises long cuts. Or at least used to. I've studiously stayed away from fabric sites to keep temptation at bay.
    Old 03-16-2011, 04:37 AM

This has really become an issue with buying from big box type stores, i.e., Hancock's, Joanns and Hobby Lobby. This is also one reason I prefer to purchase at an QS, online if I know the fabric manufacturer or someone on this board....I have received as much as a half yard more than I purchased. That is no joke. I actually talked to the manager at one of these big box stores about this situation and was told they cannot afford to give more than the required amount requested by the customer. I then asked him how he thought the smaller internet shops, ebay, etc., were able to always give more to their customers since they didn't have the volumn of big box stores all over the US. Of course he had no answer for me other than they couldn't afford to give each and every customer a tad more regardless of whether the fabric was placed on the board correctly or lined up properly. I truly am astounded by this type of thinking.

A lady purchasing before me wanted 10 yards of a muslin fabric and when it was cut she found well over a yard of it was flawed and stained. The cutter apologized and did not offer to recut the fabric for her but said she'd give her another cut for the amount she wasn't able to use. This was for a wholecloth quilt. The poor customer accepted it but was so unhappy and really so flabergasted she just left with the purchase trying to hide her tears. There was no way she could cut the flaws and stains out and sew on the other fabric to make the wholecloth quilt look acceptable. I felt awful for her. Personally, I would have called the manager and made them recut the entire piece and check for flaws....never would I have purchased that fabric. I think so many people have become so accustomed to inferior service they just live with it. I refuse to do that as it is my money and I expect to get courteous, respectful and good customer service. When I have been unhappy with service and quality I never treat the person rudely but do ask if they would accept what they are doing to myself or others....then I get a manager and quietly speak about the problem. This has never failed me and more times than not the Manager is grateful for my speaking with them and reassured me they will correct the problem/s. Whether they actually do or not I don't know but I do leave with what I want and have paid for in it's entirety. I am telling this story to hopefully help others here to know you do not have to accept something that is not what you are wanting to purchase. I know many of you know/do this but there are still others that do not speak out for themselves. We must all learn to be proactive....it's not rude it is just making sure you are treated fairly and purchasing what you expect. These companies would not be in business without you and they are there to serve you the customer. You never have to be rude or ugly but calmly explain your situation and ask/expect a solution to your problem. That is a win/win for you the customer and the business that wants to stay in business.
    Old 03-16-2011, 04:51 AM
    Power Poster

i have noticed that happening in some places...i tend to buy on-line alot...from sites that are generous...my favorite site (fabric.com) cuts 39" yards. there is another one,,,i can't remember name right now- that advertises 40" yards! i give these shops more of my business than the shops that are notorious for giving you short cuts.
    Old 03-16-2011, 04:58 AM

Quiltmaker - I couldn't agree more. It is about accountability and integrity - a lot of which is MIA these days. I believe that a lot of the "wrongs" of today would not exist if we were not made to feel that we are the bad guy for expecting accountability & integrity. I will always speak up for right vs wrong - even if my husband cringes with embarrassment!
    Old 03-16-2011, 05:02 AM

I don't mind them cutting a yard when I asked for a yard but it does irk me when it's crooked. That's what makes it soooo much better if they cut a little more than a yard. I understand stores saying they can't cut more than you ask for but, they should consider that if it's not straight then they really aren't "giving" anything away. Sometime an inch really makes a difference ... especially when you make a booboo cutting
    :wink:

Susan
    Old 03-16-2011, 05:16 AM

This is one of the many reasons I have almost completely stopped shopping at places like Hancocks. I shop almost exclusively at my LQS or at a few other LQS's in towns hubby and I travel to often. Good customer service and getting what I pay for is important enough to me to spend a little more per yard on quilt shop fabric.

I do also shop online and have been happy with several sites. Fabric.com is good and for batiks I LOVE batiksplus.com. Last year I had exceptional service from Fortworthfabricstudio.com. I also really like Connecting Threads, though I haven't ordered a lot of fabric from them because I'm usually looking for something pretty specific. I've been eyeing several of their new collections lately though. :)
    Old 03-16-2011, 05:22 AM

I have terrible luck at Jo'Anns with cuts so.. off grain that when its straigtened I end up with 32 inches and less on some. I do not mean to ... complain but ... its so frustrating. I have said something to the manager once and the response was ... "Well we cut it the way it comes of the bolt". I understand that bolts get wound sometimes really off grain , but they push the badly wound onto the consumer to pay the final price with less useable fabric than was paid for.
    I agree the wide cuts really can be problematic.
    At the LQS - I think the attempt to not give away , has had a backlash in that sometimes, the fabric comes up short. All of the LQS in my area , do not ever give an extra inch. Have they all forgotten that "good will " toward the customer , is its best investment?
    Old 03-16-2011, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Hen3rietta
    Originally Posted by KarenR
    There was a post on here about long cuts from a company-
    Which company was that? I will have to do a search.
    Fabric.com advertises long cuts. Or at least used to. I've studiously stayed away from fabric sites to keep temptation at bay.
    They still do...I always get at least a 37" cut.
    Old 03-16-2011, 05:57 AM

I have had this problem with JoAnn's especially.
    My LQS never gives an extra inch either BUT they tear their fabric so that it is straight on the grain. This works fine for most fabrics but sometimes it distorts the edges and that can't be used either. I can't understand why any LQS or Company will not give an inch especially since the fabric usually shrinks a little when you wash it anyway. They are in the business of fabric and should KNOW this. I give up, I don't know what the solution is to make everyone happy.
    Old 03-16-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    As one who works in the fabric dept.... I always but a long yard for my customers. I like it when I get the same. I won't let certain people cut my fabric because they short cut it.
    How wonderful to work in the fabric. To get to see and touch all that fabric. For me it would be like working in the library. I love books too. Heaven.