Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Getting less than you paid for... >
  • Getting less than you paid for...

• Getting less than you paid for...

Old 03-16-2011, 07:40 PM

I should purchase enough to allow for shrinkage. I should get what I pay for. If I ask for one yard, I should get no less than 36". Of course, the store can't continually give away fabric. After a few hundred customers, 1" can really add up. However, I should not have to ask for and pay for an extra 1/8 or 1/4 yd. to compensate for inaccurate cutting. We need to be respectful, but speak up.
    Old 03-16-2011, 08:10 PM

Yes, I went to Jo Ann's the other day. I watched as they cut the fabric for others (while standing in line) and you wouldn't believe how they would measure it. It wasn't cut straight from the last time and I know so many got less than they paid for.

When you even up the edges, you have a lot less since they don't try to cut it straight in the first place. Frustrates me, as I can't afford much anyway and to lose some really hurts.
    Old 03-17-2011, 01:55 AM

Our local fabric haunt extends the fabric almost 1 1/2 inches at the beginning mark and sometimes 1 1/2 inches beyond the final mark. But I did notice that a new employee is a little more precise with her cutting. Unfortunately, I heard yesterday that my favorite cutter is retiring.
    Old 03-17-2011, 02:06 AM

I learned to buy more fabric than I needed for projects. Fabric shrinks when washed first time, and I ened up short - no more fabric avail.
    Solved that problem by getting 1/2 yard to a yard over what I need.
    Old 03-17-2011, 03:06 AM

WE purchased $1800.00 worth of fleece and flannel for a chairty project we bought the whole bolt and when they measured it,if there was 1 inch left they charged for that. they had a chart taped to the counter pricing inches! We try not to buy at Hancocks any more than we have to.
    Old 03-17-2011, 03:39 AM

I purchased fabric at Joann yesterday and watched the sales clerk cut a tiny bit more than my requested amount. Great, I though, I got a tiny bit more. When I got home I found out I was charged for that tiny bit more. I asked for 2.5 yards but got and was charged for 2.55 yards. Not a big deal, but not what I asked for.
    Old 03-17-2011, 04:19 AM

Yep, and that's why I stand right there and watch them. A lot of times they cut it so crooked that plains are way off. I actually ask them to open plaids and cut it straight.

They don't like it but they do it.
    Old 03-17-2011, 04:25 AM

Oh, yes....had that exact problem from a very popular chain fabric store and I was so irritated that I wrote to the company! Of course I heard nothing back from them. It's funny how those two inches off a three yard cut made me irritated enough to question whether to go there in the future. I'm sure the two inches would have cost them less than loosing my business will cost them. I told them I only ask for and expect what I've paid for. Sorry for my rant!
    Old 03-17-2011, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by KarenR
    There was a post on here about long cuts from a company-
    Which company was that? I will have to do a search.
    I don't remember the post, but often timeswhen I buy from connecting threads they will throw in the end cut .
    Old 03-17-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by emsgranny
    Has anyone else had the problem of a yard really isnt a yard anymore? It seems the employees have been taught to be very specific when cutting fabric and not "over"cut a yard of fabric!! Alot of time I will buy what I think is three yards and it ends up being 2 yards 34-35 inches!! I guess its not a really big deal but over time this adds up!! Also if I try using it for backing I come up short just that little bit!!! Frustrating to me. Wondered if anyone else has that problem. Thanks cheryl :D
    I have the same problem. A few years ago, I started to notice the fabric cutters at JoAnn's wouldn't cut one thread past what I ordered, even when the end of the bolt was cut crooked. It was as though they were under strict orders, and were being watched ! I started to notice I would sometimes be a bit short when I got home, so now I watch them to be sure they are cutting what I am paying for, and I will buy a little more than what I need, to be sure. I am old enough to remember when any fabric shop I went in to would cut you a little extra fabric, and I guess it spoiled us a bit.