Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Getting less than you paid for... >
  • Getting less than you paid for...

• Getting less than you paid for...

Old 03-17-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by mar32428
    A quick afterthought..... my Wally is re-designing its layout. They ARE NOT getting rid of their fabric. The word is that the new fabric layouts with pre-cut etc. is NOT making money. We told 'em so.

Hi,
    Yes! Went in a local WM yesterday. Where they once had yardage on the bolt it is now yardage in 2 yd cuts. There is a very tiny section of FQ's, charms, and other misc. cuts and items. The quality of the fabric does vary. All the labels have China printed on them.

I have also noticed in JoAnns and Hancock Fabrics is starting to have pre-cut packages.

What can I say? Hopefully people will not be buying their fabric in this format. I do not. I want the amount of fabric that I want to purchase. It's like they want to determine what we're going to purchase.

It (the fabric) needs to sit on their shelves. When it continues to sit on their shelves they will finally get the message.

As a side note, if every would take the time to sent a letter to the corporate office, then they might start to take notice. They want sales. They don't want to pay the labor charge for keeping a person in the department to cut fabric as they think labor is their big expense.

Waste of product...all over the store is their problem. Freezer and meat items left all over the store on shelves by unruly customers is their problem! Produce not bought that has to be thrown out and not even given to food pantries is their problem! They keep looking in the wrong place for the decrease in profit. The management is many times men who need to start listening to their labor force and the women customers who are doing the buying in their stores.

Pam M
    Old 03-17-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by sew_sew
    I recently bought some fabric for a craft project at Walmart, the person cutting was so careless the fabric was all puddled in front of her and she didn't even straighten it out. Annoyed wasn't the word for my reaction.

You should have stopped her immediately. Asked for her to either straighten the fabric and cut the material in the correct procedure and/or ask for her manager and explain the situation.

We as the customer are entitled to get what we are paying for!

I don't care anymore if they give me a look or don't like what I'm saying. If they cut it, ask them to re-measure. If it is not what you asked for, then have them cut you a new piece.

They have to explain to their manager later what happened. Also, you should call the manager of the department later as the employee could just say they after it was cut you just said you didn't want it and not say what they did wrong.

Pam M
    Old 03-17-2011, 07:07 AM

One of the gals in the shop I go to starts measuring at the shortest point, most of the time she gives 3 inches per yard more on any cut. Needless to say I go on the days she works.
    Old 03-17-2011, 07:34 AM
    Power Poster

Fabric.com cuts 37" yards. They have always been good about giving you the end of the bolt when it's less than 1/2 yard remaining.
    Old 03-17-2011, 07:35 AM
    nab

I have worked in fabric stores and always gave my customers a tad more. I would rather have a return happy customer than loose the business altogether. In the long run you will make more money. If I am cheated once I rarely go back. If I notice it, it is uncomfortable to say anything, but with age I open my mouth and say what needs to be said.
    Old 03-17-2011, 07:39 AM
    Power Poster

I always watch and speak up in time.
    Old 03-17-2011, 07:53 AM

Since I worked for awhile at a JoAnn's store, when I get fabric to cut, I watch the person cut it, even mentioning to her if the fabric is crooked. At JoAnn's we used to have to randomly cut a yard of fabric for our manager to make sure we are doing it right. What they called "shrinkage", when more was cut than charged for. I guess when a company sells thousands of yards of fabric, adding an extra inch to a cut would really add up for them. But Me, as a consumer, will watch each cut, making sure all is cut straight and no flaws on the fabric. If there is a flaw, I want to be compensated for it, too, either cutting that part off, or just not purchasing the fabric.
    Old 03-17-2011, 08:13 AM

As a former part-time Hancocks (of Tupulo, MS) clerk in suburban Colorado, until 2006, we followed an informal practice of asking the customer if she could use the remanent that would result if we cut as wanted, then either give it to her or negotiate a good price. That way the store didn't get many remanents that are rather useless or had to be re-measured, re-priced by employees and then placed into a bin of such items. It does not hurt the company to "give" a bit more when cutting to assure that a full yard is cut, and I firmly believe the price each company pays for such cheating or perceived short-cuts is too high to allow. When short-cuts come up, SCREAM right away to managers. Point out that it should be hardly worth it, to them to lose a customer over 20-25 cents worth of purchase plus the reputation of short-cutting.
    Old 03-17-2011, 08:14 AM

There was a LQS that cut exactly what I asked for. After straightening fabric is lost (but always saved for scrappies :) ) Another LQS owner I had worked for told us to always measure an extra 1 1/2" to 2" on each end as the last thing they wanted was a complaint that someone was short on fabric. When I purchased fabric I always asked for an extra 1/4 - 1/3 yard just in case I goofed on cutting. The first shop I mentiond rarely had other quilters in the store when I was there. The 1st shop went out of business and the 2nd shop owner moved out of state.
    Old 03-17-2011, 08:17 AM

I quite agree, and I explained this very situation in a note earlier. Let any fabric, craft and sewing supply business know why they have lost you as a customer--ask if it was worth it to them to "cheat" for 20 or so cents of fabric sale.