Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Getting less than you paid for... >
  • Getting less than you paid for...

• Getting less than you paid for...

Old 03-17-2011, 08:24 AM

Holice wrote: "Be extra watchful when clerk is cutting wide back fabric. I have noticed that often I lose 5-6" on both ends when the fabric is straightened."

Wish I'd seen this earlier this week. I bought my first "extra-wide" yardage Monday, and even though both the cutter and I checked twice to be sure she was allowing for the nearly scalloped edge as she measured, I still needed the help of DH and DD to try to straighten the fabric enough to make it even. Arrrgh! Luckly, I did order a bit more than I needed, but I was worried for a moment.
    Old 03-17-2011, 08:39 AM

I went on a shop hop with my guild. I bought 8-1/2 yds of fabric. Came home and put it away. 6 months later I took it out to use it and discovered I had 8- 1/4 yd pieces. I was talking and looking at other fabric with my DD and not paying attention. I was charged for 1/2 yd pieces. I now watch them carefully when they cut and if the fabric is really crooked I insist they cut it from the shorter end.Lesson learned.
    Old 03-17-2011, 08:39 AM

I went on a shop hop with my guild. I bought 8-1/2 yds of fabric. Came home and put it away. 6 months later I took it out to use it and discovered I had 8- 1/4 yd pieces. I was talking and looking at other fabric with my DD and not paying attention. I was charged for 1/2 yd pieces. I now watch them carefully when they cut and if the fabric is really crooked I insist they cut it from the shorter end.Lesson learned.
    Old 03-17-2011, 08:40 AM
    Power Poster

it annoys me when they tell me to buy more, i've seen them cute 1/2" off to straighten it out, what's wrong with giving it to the customer so we can straighten it out.
    Old 03-17-2011, 08:41 AM

Something that occurs to me... Many have mentioned how an extra inch on a yard would cost the "big Box" fabric stores a lot of money when multiplied over the number of customers they see a day... Which leads me to wonder how many "free" yards are they ending up with at the end of the day from cutters who measure short?
    Old 03-17-2011, 09:30 AM
    j

I wont let them tear it. But I would have them measure it and make them do it again. -- J
    Old 03-17-2011, 09:37 AM

People really have to stand up for themselves. No one else is going to. I have, more than once, demanded, and I mean demanded, to have things made right. I have been loud, angry and demanding. I wonder if that is why my husband doesn't like to be with me when we shop. Oh well. One has to do what one has to do!!!
    8-)
    Rita
    Old 03-17-2011, 09:49 AM

There is a "sign" on the yardstick at one of the Hancock's that says "f to f" which means fingernail to fingernail. That really irks me as you guys as well as I know if we prewash a lot of times it makes you run short if you buy just the amount that is called for, so I usually have them cut just a small amount more.
    Old 03-17-2011, 09:49 AM
    Banned

I bought a half yard recently to use as a thin inner border, and for the binding on a baby quilt -- it should have been more than enough, but the piece I received was so crookedly cut, I could only get about 10 inches of straight fabric out of it. Ended up using a totally different fabric for the binding, which I wasn't really happy about.
    Old 03-17-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by emsgranny
    Has anyone else had the problem of a yard really isnt a yard anymore? It seems the employees have been taught to be very specific when cutting fabric and not "over"cut a yard of fabric!! Alot of time I will buy what I think is three yards and it ends up being 2 yards 34-35 inches!! I guess its not a really big deal but over time this adds up!! Also if I try using it for backing I come up short just that little bit!!! Frustrating to me. Wondered if anyone else has that problem. Thanks cheryl :D
    The employee break room at JoAnns used to have posters with a picture of a thumb that said "Thumb mistakes are costly." (They were not allowed to give even a thumb's width extra.