• GFG Problems. Suggestions?

• GFG Problems. Suggestions?

Old 05-27-2011, 07:48 AM
    MTS
    Banned

This was just posted - shows a pretty hassle free process:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-126043-1.htm
    Old 05-27-2011, 07:56 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

my sister and I always said we would get to one of these. someday. I like how yours is coming along. and I like all the tips and advice from those who've gone down that path before.
    Old 05-27-2011, 08:11 AM

Here is a great site/tute to help. Pictures and everything!!! This is the way I am doing it and it is so very easy. Except I am going to local grade school and using their die cut machine to cut the freezer paper.

http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com/2009...r-piecing.html
    Old 05-27-2011, 08:44 AM

Agree it is MUCH easier to baste on the back only by whipstitching the corners. Once I've got a flower done, I press it and then add the connectors and press again.

I haven't taken out any of my papers yet because I want to keep the shape steady as long as I can.

I am just using regular printer paper to print out a bunch of hex's and then I handcut them.....

If you sew through your papers (other than the large basting stitches if you choose to do it that way), it will be harder to get them out in the end AND might possibly tear your seam.
    Old 05-27-2011, 08:52 AM

Okay, now that I am back from getting my van fixed, maybe a better explanation on the basting.

I push the needle tip through a layer of fabric, hex, layer of fabric, all from the "bottom" and then through the fabric, hex, fabric from the "top" to the bottom all in one motion and then pull on the needle to pull the thread all the way through. I am only using one layer of card hex but because of the "U" motion the thread and needle end up going through four layers of fabric and two layers of hex. I just took pictures of how the needle goes and then I pull the needle through.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-203005.jpe   attachment-203009.jpe  
    Old 05-27-2011, 08:59 AM

Now, when I whip stich the hexes together I am not catching any of the card. The only time I am needling through the card is while I am doing the initial basting.

Also, thank you for the compliments on my one flower. The flowers are going to be in pink, blue, green and yellow with black in the centre and pathway. They are all paler versions in the six hex lines and darker, more vivid I guess on the twelve hex line.

This is my first hand pieced quilt.

Tara
    Old 05-27-2011, 09:02 AM

I would think that would bend the paper/card hex out of shape the way you are doing both in one U motion. Check out the link a few posts up that shows just basting/whipstitching from the backside. It will also save you time in the end because you won't have to unbaste!
    Old 05-27-2011, 09:56 AM

I am by no means an expert, but I don' t think you are supposed to go through the index card at all. You are supposed to just catch the fabric and move on to the next corner. Once you have basted all the corners, the card will stay in the shape easily and be removed easily.
    Old 05-27-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mo_Chride
    The problem isn't when I am whip stitching the hexes together. That is going great. The problem is when doing the initial quick baste to hold the square of fabric around the hex. I'll get pics.

The first pic will be my first flower and the second will be the baste process the tutorial taught.

Tara
    Even when you are doing the initial baste to hold the fabric around the hex you don't go through the card stock. I will try to find the site (maybe Missouri Star quilt Co.) that shows you how.
    Old 05-27-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mo_Chride
    Now, when I whip stich the hexes together I am not catching any of the card. The only time I am needling through the card is while I am doing the initial basting.

Also, thank you for the compliments on my one flower. The flowers are going to be in pink, blue, green and yellow with black in the centre and pathway. They are all paler versions in the six hex lines and darker, more vivid I guess on the twelve hex line.

This is my first hand pieced quilt.

Even at this stage just catch the fabric & do a long running stitch on the underneath side to the next corner. Take a little stitch in the corner & another long running stitch to the next, etc. Sorry I don't explain well but maybe this will make a little sense.
    Tara