Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • gift for DH >
  • gift for DH

• gift for DH

Old 10-29-2010, 07:36 PM

My DH puts up with a lot when I'm in the creative throws of quilting. So I though I would like to make him something. Not a quilt exactly, more like an extra long throw. I have an idea for the very center, am thinking of making a transfer picture of him and his dog! The corner squares will be made of appliqued black labs. Could really use some creative ideas from you guys regarding type of blocks, also color combinations. I know he likes browns and dark greens. (clothing wise). His favorite colors are red and black. Red pickup, black motorcycle. So which way should I go. The dog (actually we refer to her as our Grand Dog) is a black lab and goes with any color I pick! Would appreciate your help.
    Old 10-29-2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Kappy
    My DH puts up with a lot when I'm in the creative throws of quilting. So I though I would like to make him something. Not a quilt exactly, more like an extra long throw. I have an idea for the very center, am thinking of making a transfer picture of him and his dog! The corner squares will be made of appliqued black labs. Could really use some creative ideas from you guys regarding type of blocks, also color combinations. I know he likes browns and dark greens. (clothing wise). His favorite colors are red and black. Red pickup, black motorcycle. So which way should I go. The dog (actually we refer to her as our Grand Dog) is a black lab and goes with any color I pick! Would appreciate your help.

maybe bow ties in a variety of red, gray and black fabrics. The Labs sound great! Good Luck with your project. Hope to see what you come up with.
    Old 10-29-2010, 07:45 PM
    Power Poster

I was thinking the same thing or else red, black, white.
    Sounds like a very loving and nice project :)
    Oops, I wasn't thinking of bow ties, although they would be great, I meant the colors.
    Old 10-29-2010, 08:39 PM

I think black, red and white or lt gray would be great
    Old 10-30-2010, 02:05 AM

I am doing a crazy patch back ground with musical notes on the pieces and a silhouette on top. Work out what his favorite thing is and do some thing like that.
    Old 10-30-2010, 07:58 AM

Thanks for all the ideas and encouragement! I do think the black, white, & red would look great. I was thinking of an Ohio Star block with the appliqued lab as the center square of the block. I will definitely keep you posted. He loves motorcycles, Lord knows he has had enough of them! LOL I could use them in the center squares also, but then the Grand Dog would not stand out.....maybe 2 quilts!!!LOL
    Old 10-30-2010, 06:19 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kappy
    Thanks for all the ideas and encouragement! I do think the black, white, & red would look great. I was thinking of an Ohio Star block with the appliqued lab as the center square of the block. I will definitely keep you posted. He loves motorcycles, Lord knows he has had enough of them! LOL I could use them in the center squares also, but then the Grand Dog would not stand out.....maybe 2 quilts!!!LOL
    Or a motorcycle theme on the back? :D:D:D