Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Glue Basting For Hand Quilting? >
  • Glue Basting For Hand Quilting?

• Glue Basting For Hand Quilting?

Old 01-04-2016, 04:51 AM

I sandwich quilts on my cutting table regardless of quilt size. No crawling around on the floor. Use big binder clips all around the edges. Get the center either pin or thread basted, shift the whole quilt left; right; up; down until the whole thing is basted. Bigger ones obviously mean more trips around the table but it sure beats crawling around on the floor!
    Old 01-04-2016, 05:58 AM
    Power Poster

if i were to use glue to hand quilt, i would be sure to make it very light. i have heard of quilters using a sponge paint brush to spread the glue more evenly... i've not tried it yet.
    Old 01-04-2016, 09:23 AM

It works well as long as you don't have the glue ON the seam line. It can be very difficult to push the needle through!
    Old 01-04-2016, 10:52 AM

I'm so glad the OP asked this question, because I was wondering about the same thing. I glue baste all my quilts, but want to start doing some big stitch hand quilting. I watched that Sharon Schamber video and I like the board technique, but I honestly can't see myself thread basting that way.

I guess I'll make a practice sandwich and try diluting the glue a bit and spreading it out with a small foam roller or paintbrush.

Last edited by SherylM; 01-04-2016 at 10:56 AM.
    Old 01-04-2016, 02:37 PM

I have also used the glue basting for hand quilting. I warm the bottle in a cup of hot water, move quickly and make sure it is a thin drizzle smudging where necessary.
    Old 01-05-2016, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by applique
    I have also used the glue basting for hand quilting. I warm the bottle in a cup of hot water, move quickly and make sure it is a thin drizzle smudging where necessary.
    Thanks, that's a good idea to warm the bottle up! It is true that sometimes it's coming out a bit hard, sure that will help!
    Old 01-05-2016, 12:19 PM

I hand quilt exclusively and have used glue to sandwich my last 5 quilts together. I will not use any other method. I use straight glue in very thin lines. Ever now and then, I get a drop of glue that I spread out with my finger. I stab stitch my entire quilt and ever now and then I hit a glue line, but if the needle is hard to get through it, I take a drop of water and place it on the fabric and the glue loosens up and my needle goes through very easily. My mom uses running stitches and she doesn't have any issues with the glue either. She usually thins the glue to 1 part glue and 1 part water. We both dry heat press the quilt as we baste it so that the glue dries and the sandwich doesn't slip apart. The best thing about glue basting is there isn't the mess of having the sandwich slip causing puckering.
    Old 01-05-2016, 12:37 PM
    Power Poster

I have tried this, it doesn't work unless you are very good at using the absolute most minimum amount of glue and getting it evenly across the whole quilt top and back. Don't forget there are two layers to be glue basted, to hold it together. Getting a needle through the stiffened fabric isn't worth the hassle.
    peace
    Old 01-05-2016, 12:40 PM
    Power Poster

I have tried this, it doesn't work unless you are very good at using the absolute most minimum amount of glue and getting it evenly across the whole quilt top and back. Don't forget there are two layers to be glue basted, to hold it together. Getting a needle through the stiffened fabric isn't worth the hassle.

EDIT: I like Ranchwife tips if you are going to try this!
    peace