Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Going, going, gone! >
  • Going, going, gone!

• Going, going, gone!

Old 06-04-2024, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper
    Last month I was diagnosed with early stage Congestive Heart Failure which got me thinking. Seriously doubt if I'll keel over today or tomorrow, but maybe the time is getting closer. !
    Linda, if this helps, my husband was diagnosed with AFib and heart failure, with a 15-20% ejection fraction. Six months on meds and one routine procedure, it’s pretty much gone. Apparently a lot of people are being cured on meds now, and if your doctor hasn’t told you that, you might consider replacing him/her. There are so many mediocre doctors out there, and just when I think I’ve met them all, I discover another one.

hugs,
    charlotte
    Old 06-04-2024, 05:34 PM

I get it that we should downsize stuff we don't need or really want anymore. Also, getting rid of things we "kinda sorta" want makes room for things we LOVE. I don't see the point of getting rid of things that make us happy, or being forced to get rid of what we want just because the kids say so. My nieces are probably going to have some work cleaning out all my stuff, but if they want to inherit my money, I guess they have to work for it.
    Old 06-05-2024, 01:52 AM

img_20240508_191552230.jpg

I have a designated sewing space, I have a spare bedroom that is mostly empty. I have no intentions to ever "spread" my sewing space any further. I am very happy in my space, I have adequate space for all the sewing and quilting items I need, and I still have empty bins on the shelves.😀 DH has been advised on who to contact if something was to happen to me. In my opinion, I have plenty of time left to use the fabric I have, and probably even can add to the empty bins if the mood strikes.

I can attest to those of you mentioning that your family is suggesting you start downsizing, take their advice and that way, YOU have control over where it goes and potentially who receives it. Otherwise, take it from someone who just moved in to her DFIL house that was very full. We had a huge yard sale and a 19' roll of dumpster in the driveway. And let me tell you, it left here very full. The very best thing that came with the house was Bert his cat, and let me tell you, my DFIL made sure he was going to be taken care of, and I can tell you what, we love that cat just as much as he did. So also think of your companion pets you love, be sure they will continue to be loved after your gone too.

​​​​​
    Old 06-05-2024, 01:53 AM

Attachment 648689
    I have a designated sewing space, I have a spare bedroom that is mostly empty. I have no intentions to ever "spread" my sewing space any further. I am very happy in my space, I have adequate space for all the sewing and quilting items I need, and I still have empty bins on the shelves.😀 DH has been advised on who to contact if something was to happen to me. In my opinion, I have plenty of time left to use the fabric I have, and probably even can add to the empty bins if the mood strikes.
    I can attest to those of you mentioning that your family is suggesting you start downsizing, take their advice and that way, YOU have control over where it goes and potentially who receives it. Otherwise, take it from someone who just moved in to her DFIL house that was very full. We had a huge yard sale and a 19' roll of dumpster in the driveway. And let me tell you, it left here very full. The very best thing that came with the house was Bert his cat, and let me tell you, my DFIL made sure he was going to be taken care of, and I can tell you what, we love that cat just as much as he did. So also think of your companion pets you love, be sure they will continue to be loved after your gone too.
    ​​​​​
    Old 06-05-2024, 03:52 AM

I have been in the downsize mood for about 8 years now. I periodically go through my sewing room looking with a clear eye and a firm intent of "if I will never use it, pass it on to someone who will." For me that works and since much for my stash was given to me, I don't feel like I am wasting dollars. I have been blessed and now I can bless others. I am also a believer that if you have fabric, us it! Starting with the COVID shut down I began making quilts at a pretty rapid pace. Nothing fancy but pleasurable and warm. So I make quilts, finish quilts and then giving them away. I have the fabric and tools, so I use them.

I keep what interests me and I have begun to walk away from freebie tables unless I need a little bit of one color. (I do make many, many scrappy quilts so nothing goes to waste.) I seldom shop for fabric, although I love to go to a quilt shop and "pet the fabric". I purchase fabric for maybe one or two quilts per year or just buy backing when it is needed. With the amount of fabric I have on hand I can do this for a long time and my stash is what not a deep as many others. I like what I have, I still enjoy making the quilt and I take joy in giving them away.

In the end we all find different ways of looking toward our future and our passion for sewing. It is a delight to know that there are so many different ways to destash and to be content about it. My favorite idea from this thread is bundling yardage with a pattern for the give away table.I can see that as appealing to another quilter.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 06-05-2024 at 03:56 AM.
    Old 06-05-2024, 05:19 AM
    Power Poster

I know from having to clean out a great aunt's home she lived in for decades that I would never leave that for my kids to do. It was overwhelming and I ended up resenting my aunt for leaving me the mess. I finally hired movers to come box everything after a big sale. Had to pay to have it taken to the dump, and dump fees. Her house was so outdated it sold as is. Two years after her death and I was finally through with everything.

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-05-2024 at 05:29 AM.
    Old 06-05-2024, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts
    Linda, if this helps, my husband was diagnosed with AFib and heart failure, with a 15-20% ejection fraction. Six months on meds and one routine procedure, it’s pretty much gone. Apparently a lot of people are being cured on meds now, and if your doctor hasn’t told you that, you might consider replacing him/her. There are so many mediocre doctors out there, and just when I think I’ve met them all, I discover another one.

hugs,
    charlotte
    I'm so glad your husband got help. Unfortunately, my husband died suddenly in October from cardiac arrest. He had a heart murmur that was discovered in 2021 when he had a pre-op for back surgery. That was in a different state and then we relocated in Feb., 2022 clear across the US and none of his medical records were requested by our new doctor. She heard his murmur but said she'd monitor it. He had an echocardiogram in Dec., 2022 and he had pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH). I found this diagnosis after he died on the echo. The doctor never told us and she never sent him to a cardiologist. On October 13, 2023 he had chest pains and was in Afib when the EMT's got there. He walked out to the ambulance and within 5 minutes he was unconscious and pulseless. They brought him back in the ambulance (twice) and he was in Vfib when he got to the ER. He never woke up and died that night. I've wondered if things might have been different if his medical records had been requested or if he had seen a cardiologist. Maybe. Maybe not.
    Old 06-05-2024, 12:11 PM

I've been struggling to sew since my husband died in October. I don't have a large stash of fabric because I just bought when I had a project. What I do have though is several sewing machines (6, I think) and I'm thinking seriously of getting rid of them and just keeping one....maybe. I'm 77 and I don't have any family to clean out my stuff when I'm gone so I'd like to dispose of it now. I'm also seriously thinking about getting rid of all my sewing things. I started making quilts in 2002 and I think I'm burned out. I sit down to sew and I can only stay interested in it for about 30 minutes at the most.
    Old 06-05-2024, 12:13 PM

So very sorry for your loss, Colleen.
    Old 06-09-2024, 06:07 AM

Dropped off the fab Thus for PL meeting on Fri.No tears when I walked out. Thrilled to get rid iof it. Gave a special collection to friend who does dif charity sewing. Two shelving units delivered to son yesterday. Wow.,.fab area looks sod differerent. Much easier to shop my stash for project fab.