Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Going, going, gone! >
  • Going, going, gone!

• Going, going, gone!

Old 06-09-2024, 07:22 AM

I have given up on clearing out my house which is the same house I grew up in. There is still stuff that was my grandfathers, mom and dad, and great aunts and uncles up in the attic. I tried my best for about 5 years. Having multiple rummage sales, two dumpsters, many trips to the thrift shops, keeping the "Free box" filled as it emptied, and just tossing stuff in the trash each week. I just plain burned out and said, no more. Anyway. The house really at least has walking room with the basement and attic being less crowded and stuff arranged so can find. My instructions to the family after I am gone is just take what you want, either have an estate person come in and do a sale, or a clean out company come in and take the rest. Then sell the house. I thought about selling the house and doing all this, but with the price of assisted living I decided to stay here as long as I can. Just want to leave my heirs as much as I can but I have told them, I don't care what they do with my stuff after I am gone. However, I still do look for opportunities to get rid of stuff. I did rehome my dog as he was having problems with the stairs as am I. I just gave his new owner the rest of the little bed quilts I had made and the rest of his toys. One of my friends has expressed interest in my long arm but then was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. During covid, I did not let her come over as her and her family did not believe in either masking or the vaccine. I do have a huge stash. Again, I am leaving some of that to my heirs to deal with. Some of them think I should try and sell it along with my sewing machines. I just told them I am fine with what they want to do but I can't do a sale.
    Old 06-09-2024, 09:20 AM
    Power Poster

Just want to leave my heirs as much as I can

Please don't deny yourself what is best for you to save for your heirs.
    Old 06-09-2024, 11:51 AM
    Power Poster

My intent is to leave as little as possible for my heirs.

Three of them already have way more than they need -

My hope is to "come out even" - no debts, enough to pay final expenses - which can include a huge party that I won't have to plan, cook or clean for.

The less there is, the less there is to fuss about and have to distribute.

Interestingly enough, many squabbles seem to arise over relatively insignificant (to others, anyway) items.

Old 06-09-2024, 12:48 PM

Life Cycles.. Been downsizing but still enjoy my stash and playing with it. It does keep me alert and active Certainly don’t need more quilts.