Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Going, going, gone! >
  • Going, going, gone!

• Going, going, gone!

Old 06-03-2024, 05:36 AM

Default Going, going, gone!

Quilter had to do serious downsizing since she was moving to a dif state from a house to a one bedroom condo. She donated so much fab to our PL group. We shopped for a couple hours that day and we all had mixed emotions. Happy with the fab but so sad for her.

When I broke my elbowe, in my darkest hours, I thought what would I do with my fab if I couldn't sew any more? What would my family do? they have no idea how to get rid of the stuff.

So... easy remedy. Son needs my two metal utility shelving units that have been storing "MILES" of fab. For the past three days I have been going thru ALL my fab. If I haven't touched the pieces for two years, out it goes. If I think it's ugly, out it goes. Colors I don't like anymore, out it goes. I did keep yardage for backs. I still have enough fab to keep me happy and to make lots of pretty quilts for Project Linus.

Meeting is this Friday. I can't wait for the feeding frenzy to begin!...lol

Old 06-03-2024, 06:07 AM

Good going! I find having some rules really helps thin out my fabric. I still have a lot of fabric but maybe only a quarter of what I once had. I used the simple "do I like it?" and "can I see using this in the next 5 years?" which seem close to your guidelines.

No need to burden ourselves with things we don't like or don't want to use. Someone else can find joy at the thrift store or guild table and not even know we thought it was too ugly to touch!
    Old 06-03-2024, 06:38 AM
    Power Poster

My two daughters have told me they do not want the task of cleaning out my sewing room. They do not sew/quilt and if they decide to they could afford to buy what they wanted then. I am making three yard bundles and giving them to my guild for donation quilts. I take four or five bundles every month, each with a free printable pattern attached. The quilts get made by members all year long. No reason to have so much fabric stored away at my age. I like the new fabric lines coming out now much better than my older fabric. Brighter colors and better designs. I buy mostly pre cuts now. Less storage and most all patterns are designed for precuts. I keep a variety of backing fabric and yardage of neutrals and solids. It's working for me.
    Old 06-03-2024, 06:40 AM

I keep curating my stash and projects every time I straighten my sewing room, start a new project or a new 4-H quilting project. I have a defined space for fabric, projects and notions/supplies so it has to have a place.
    I avoided a yard sale last Saturday that advertised for quilters - fabric yardage, precuts, and supplies. I don't need more fabric or projects. Pretty sure I have several lifetimes' worth now.
    Old 06-03-2024, 06:45 AM
    Power Poster

My kids are in the "Mom, you need to get rid of this stuff - - This being all things related to sewing -

We moved and I still enjoy going through most of my fabrics - even though I know that I probably won't use them.

I did donate Many Many patterns to the Salvation Army. And cookbooks. Lots of books went to the library. I think it's a pity that they won't take textbooks or encyclopedias.

I am still feeling a bit resentful about the move and about getting rid of some things not by my choice.

i do know that in the "big picture" - of health and all that - it is insignificant.

But still, a rough fingernail can drive me nuts until I fix it. Usually that is not a life-threatening problem. Or take up much space. or take much to fix.

But for those of you that are able to just GIVE/DONATE your fabric to whoever will take it - my greatest admiration.

For the record, over the past years, I have donated cars full of fabric. I'm just getting ornery about being "forced" into parting with it.
    Old 06-03-2024, 10:18 AM
    Power Poster

I'm just getting ornery about being "forced" into parting with it.

I would feel the same way if I felt I was forced.
    I started thinking of giving fabric to those that will use it to make a quilt the same as if I gave a quilt to someone. I bought it to make quilts so does it really matter who makes the quilt? Better than sitting in a bin or shelf for several years.
    Old 06-03-2024, 11:01 AM
    Power Poster

I've done a couple of big purges the last few years and it feels so good! I have not ONCE regretted any fabric I parted with and it all goes to good causes, which makes me happy.
    I also buy more precuts than anything else these days.
    Old 06-03-2024, 01:16 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I'm just getting ornery about being "forced" into parting with it.

I would feel the same way if I felt I was forced.
    I started thinking of giving fabric to those that will use it to make a quilt the same as if I gave a quilt to someone. I bought it to make quilts so does it really matter who makes the quilt? Better than sitting in a bin or shelf for several years.
    Your line - "I bought it to make quilts so does it really matter who makes the quilt ?

My reasons (excuse) for buying much of that fabric was to make charity/donation quilts. You just reminded me - - -
    Old 06-04-2024, 03:39 AM

Last month I was diagnosed with early stage Congestive Heart Failure which got me thinking. Seriously doubt if I'll keel over today or tomorrow, but maybe the time is getting closer. I gave up my Grace quilting frame that was on the 3 season porch and moved my sewing area there. We turned the old sewing room into a small bedroom so I don't have to climb the 17 steps to our upper bedrooms when I'm not feeling the best. Fabric....I'm slowly selling off fabric and books, and using pre-cuts for my donation quilts. Probably a good thing that I don't belong to a quilt guild...I'd be bringing back as much fabric as I donated. It's a never ending cycle!!
    Old 06-04-2024, 01:58 PM

I gave a bunch of fabric to a local charity quilt group, and some more to someone who wants to start learning sewing. I still have a lot, as my sister reminds me.