Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • gonna be grandma >
  • gonna be grandma

• gonna be grandma

Old 12-19-2010, 07:19 PM

Mine too. Due on Mothers day! Couldn't be more fitting.
    Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Congratulations!!!!

My first grandbaby is due in May!!!!
    Old 12-19-2010, 08:16 PM
    Banned

Welcome from Chattanooga! I am so happy for you; Grandbabies are wonderful!

A Thankful GrandPa!
    Old 12-19-2010, 08:35 PM

I just became a grandmother 9/29 and have made 5 quilts for my darling Gabrielle since April when the kids told me on my 60th birthday that they were expecting. It has been soooo amazing!!!! I didn't know I would love being a grandmother so much. My suggestion on quilts is to choose you favorite pattern or blocks and start by making something in the colors that the parents are going to use in the nursery. Our DDIL wanted B&W with pink, and a touch of green for an accent. I just did all different B&W prints cut into 5" charms, with a pink border and a tiny green flange. I bought a ruffler attachment and made a cute pink ruffle all the way around instead of binding the quilt. I backed the quilt with pink Minkee and my DDIL loved it. The baby came 7 weeks early and the NICU nurses asked the kids if they knew anyone who could make a quilt as the nurses liked having a quilt in each room to personalize things and make it feel "homey." Well, the day after the baby was born my son brought in 2 quilts that I had made. When I walked into the room and saw the quilt draped over the glass top of the preemie isolette I just started to cry. It was just an emotional reaction. Gabrielle was in the NICU for a little over 7 weeks and it was wonderful to have quilts in her room for comfort. Now Gabrielle is home and doing great. Congratulations and have fun making all those quilts for you new grandchild!
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-145495.jpe   attachment-145496.jpe  
    Old 12-19-2010, 08:41 PM
    Power Poster

Congratulations.
    Old 12-19-2010, 09:23 PM

Congrations. My dgs and his wife are expecting identical twin girls May 1. So this time I can make 2 quilts.
    Merry Christmas to all.
    Old 12-19-2010, 09:30 PM

You'll had so much fun! Gotta love those grand-babies!
    I have a suggestion: wait to find out whether it's a girl or boy. Or not....just a thought.
    Old 12-19-2010, 10:02 PM

Getting a grandbaby was the best thing that has happened to me in years... I love my life, but it was all pretty ho-hum until that first grandbaby got here.. Now I have 3 and perhaps I'll get one more.. they are precious and have made me laugh more in the past few years than I had for the 10 years previous.

Congratulations, life will never be the same again... it will be MUCH better!
    Old 12-19-2010, 10:34 PM

Congratulations! I think a tumbling blocks quilt is perfect for a new baby.
    Old 12-19-2010, 11:10 PM

Congrats. So many choices - Boy? Girl? Color scheme. I am making scrappy quilts for twins boy and girl. some of the blocks they have are moon, stars, sun, baloons, angel, flower, kite, rocket ship, sail boat, car, train engine, ballerina slippers, flip flops - baseball bat, ball, hat on one block. Helment and football on another - in other words a learning quilt. 24 blocks- almost a twin size, but the one I made l6 months ago hangs on the boys wall. So I made him dinosour Dan this year. The first thing he did was lay on it!

Have a wonderful time making your quilt. And enjoy your baby.
    Old 12-19-2010, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi
    I just became a grandmother 9/29 and have made 5 quilts for my darling Gabrielle since April when the kids told me on my 60th birthday that they were expecting. It has been soooo amazing!!!! I didn't know I would love being a grandmother so much. My suggestion on quilts is to choose you favorite pattern or blocks and start by making something in the colors that the parents are going to use in the nursery. Our DDIL wanted B&W with pink, and a touch of green for an accent. I just did all different B&W prints cut into 5" charms, with a pink border and a tiny green flange. I bought a ruffler attachment and made a cute pink ruffle all the way around instead of binding the quilt. I backed the quilt with pink Minkee and my DDIL loved it. The baby came 7 weeks early and the NICU nurses asked the kids if they knew anyone who could make a quilt as the nurses liked having a quilt in each room to personalize things and make it feel "homey." Well, the day after the baby was born my son brought in 2 quilts that I had made. When I walked into the room and saw the quilt draped over the glass top of the preemie isolette I just started to cry. It was just an emotional reaction. Gabrielle was in the NICU for a little over 7 weeks and it was wonderful to have quilts in her room for comfort. Now Gabrielle is home and doing great. Congratulations and have fun making all those quilts for you new grandchild!
    What a beautiful quilt!