Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A good laugh >
  • A good laugh

• A good laugh

Old 12-30-2013, 07:40 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ragamuffin
    I would press them from the back into a towel, spraying them with Magic Sizing
    What a great idea. Thanks, I'll try that. Using the towel might give me enough "give" to do the pressing.

And I do like the blocks - warts and all. I barely remember taking that class but I'm sure I was proud as heck with those pieces. Now I am proud that I can finish them (with all your help).
    Old 12-30-2013, 08:38 PM

There are some good idea's here. I like the high loft and then tie. I do all most all my quilts that way.
    I just can't get my fabric tight and without a wrinkle or two. I have seen some of your work and you are good.
    I keep going, one day I will be able to use my sewing machine and not have to tie. Have a great day and enjoy
    your quilting.
    Old 12-30-2013, 09:31 PM

MadQuilter,

I don't think it is as bad as you think somehow. It does somehow remind me of a Venus Fly Trap. I don't think you did so badly first time out.....smiles

Ladibug
    Old 12-30-2013, 09:52 PM
    Power Poster

I'm in the "starch it to death, press furiously, baste well and quilt the dickens out of it" group. I really like the colours, the design and the texture. I do believe this is a sleeping beauty....I was an avid follower of your "Sue" series ..... so I know you have the determination and skill to do something pretty amazing with this....keep us posted, this could be an interesting beginning to the new year.
    Old 12-31-2013, 12:07 AM

I don't see them as your first attempt at quilting--but rather applique as so far I can't see any quilting involved.

I'd use the squares in an "orphan block" quilt and just throw them in as they are--doing my best to quilt around them when it comes time to actually do the quilting.
    Old 12-31-2013, 01:03 AM

My first thought was wet and stretch then starch. how about trapunto the flowers .
    Old 12-31-2013, 05:09 AM

Sometimes a project provides an opportunity to learn and is not destined to be finished. Sometimes it needs to just go away. Not all class projects are worthy of all the time they would take to make worthy of display. Just understand what you did incorrectly and use the skill in a new project without the same problems. At one time I bought a wedding ring quilt from someone who could not finish it. The colors were pretty and I was sure I could rescue it. I spent hours deconstructing, starching, etc. But the end was that I realized I couldn't do it because it had been poorly cut. It got dumped and I spent my quilting time doing something I could enjoy and be proud of. What a relief!
    Old 12-31-2013, 05:14 AM

[QUOTE=Tartan;6482445][B][COLOR=#0000cd]I would mist the blocks and block them to get them as flat as possible.

That is what I would do also. Can really get rid of a lot of excess that way.
    Old 12-31-2013, 05:46 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I think it will stay a UFO for a bit longer but my German stubborn genes will not let me leave it alone. I will finish it. Probably go with the shabby home-grown look and the quilt the lumps out of it.
    I like your plan... can't believe some have advised you to dump it! I see only shabby chic LOVE there. I love it and think it would make and awesome looking quilt. I like it just as is.
    Old 12-31-2013, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I think it will stay a UFO for a bit longer but my German stubborn genes will not let me leave it alone. I will finish it. Probably go with the shabby home-grown look and the quilt the lumps out of it.
    Good for you! I have those genes, also.

Those blocks are never going to lay flat! I would cut some sashing as long as the center of the block, the way we cut our border fabric. Then sew the sashing on, scrunching in the fabric to fit, (as in ruffling it? ? ?) Then your quilting will go right over these tucks and I'll bet that would look really cool. Add as many squares as you have, and people will ask you how you did that.