Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • good machine for free motion quilting >
  • good machine for free motion quilting

• good machine for free motion quilting

Old 01-08-2012, 01:53 PM

The Janome 7700 is amazing. I really enjoyed testing it. In the end, I went for a Bernina 430, which free motions like a dream. You said Bernina is out of your budget, but it was $1000 less than the Janome (which doesn't do embroidery, I got that thrown into the deal with the Bernina as an incentive).

I also highly recommend looking at the brother NX 2000- I think it was less than the Janome, but had the harp space. It also seemed to come with A LOT more accessories. Plus it does directional stitching, which I think is really cool. I regret not looking at it more (I was entranced by the Janome's beautiful color.)
    Old 01-08-2012, 01:56 PM

This is the machine I have and used for all my FMQ until I bought my HQ16. I still use it to free motion small items, like tote bags etc. I almost sold it once, but now it is a keeper. (along with my other 6 machines).
    You will not regret getting this machine; it is a work horse.

Originally Posted by Dingle
    I'm seriously thinking of getting the Brother PQ 1500s for free motion. I already have 6 other machines for piecing and the Brother PQ has a 9" throat. Allbrands has them for 599.00.
    Old 01-08-2012, 02:21 PM

I have a Brother Innovis 2000 - Laura Ashley edition for the past year. I am very happy with this choice. Here is a link to the website. It has so many features for the price. I know it isn't a Bernina, but I think of it as a souped up Kia vs a stripped down Cadillac.

http://www.brother-usa.com/Homesewin...X2000Microsite
    Old 01-08-2012, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
    Thankyou. Viking is Husqvarna, isn't it? I was thinking of paying my Pfaff/Husqvarna dealer a visit.
    Yes it is. I read on here that some machines are made in Sweden and some in China (I think) and the ones from Sweden are the best. I'm not sure about that. I just know that the Mega quilter is made for quilting; it does no fancy stitches. It has needle up/down, needle threader, auto tack. It is so easy to use. It goes so fast but I keep it on the slowest speed possible because I can't go that fast. I've never had tension problems with it. I use mostly Aurofil thread on it which Viking recommends. Test drive a few to see what seems to fit you.
    Old 01-09-2012, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321
    The Janome 7700 is amazing. I really enjoyed testing it. In the end, I went for a Bernina 430, which free motions like a dream. You said Bernina is out of your budget, but it was $1000 less than the Janome (which doesn't do embroidery, I got that thrown into the deal with the Bernina as an incentive).
    At the moment, with an offer on the Horizon, I think it's about the same price as the 430 in the UK. The latter was my dream for quite a while, and perhaps I should revisit it (or has it been replaced now?). Though the bigger harp of the Horizon appeals.
    Old 01-09-2012, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dingle
    I'm seriously thinking of getting the Brother PQ 1500s for free motion. I already have 6 other machines for piecing and the Brother PQ has a 9" throat. Allbrands has them for 599.00.
    I'm pretty sure the Brother PQ 1500 isn't available in the UK, sadly - I've looked online and have never found a UK stockist.
    Old 01-09-2012, 03:46 AM

Is Juki available in the UK? They have the 98PQ or the 2010? that is a 9" throat.
    Old 01-09-2012, 04:20 AM

Viking doesn't make the MegaQuilter anymore. It and the Pfaff Grandquilter are awesome for FMQ, all metal, fast,heavy duty. A friend just bought one on ebay for $650.
    Old 01-09-2012, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
    Is Juki available in the UK? They have the 98PQ or the 2010? that is a 9" throat.
    Juki seem to be beginning to come into the UK, though I don't think there are many places that sell them.
    Old 01-09-2012, 07:07 AM
    QKO

Another vote for the Viking Megaquilter. I've been taking FMQ classes on our Megaquilter and it's awesome -- all the features you need and none that you don't. It loves Aurifil thread, and it also loves being cleaned and oiled frequently.

The Megaquilter 9", the Pfaff Grandquilter, and the Janome 1600P are all the same machine and are all made by Janome -- excellent build quality, very heavy duty, high-speed near-industrial machines.