Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is This good for scrap storage? >
  • Is This good for scrap storage?

• Is This good for scrap storage?

Old 11-19-2011, 10:03 AM

My personal opinion (because I have one similar to the one pictured) is that the drawers are not deep enough. Also the drawers in mine always "slip" off the runners so I am constantly having to readjust them. I also agree that I would prefer the clear plastic type drawers so I can see what is in them. Sorry if I "burst" your bubble??!
    Old 11-19-2011, 10:09 AM

I have one. Not very sturdy. Don't recommend
    Originally Posted by carolevidak
    I had one and ended up giving it to my DH for the garage. It is not very sturdy and the drawers are constantly coming off the rungs. I was only using it for misc tools, etc. You can buy them at the big discountstores for $20 something. I wouldn't recommend this . Sorry!

Carole
    Old 11-19-2011, 10:12 AM

I did not care for them. If you have a small amount of scraps and do not use them a ton it would be ok for organizational purposes but they do not stay on the rungs well so if you are opening and closing them a lot they are not great.
    Old 11-19-2011, 10:41 AM

I had one but I gave it to a schoolteacher b/c the drawers would never stay in the slots intended. Mine was about 3 years old so maybe they have been remade with better gliders.
    Old 11-19-2011, 12:37 PM
    Power Poster

If the drawers are big enough,you could put FQ's in them too. Green shades in a green drawer etc.My tubs I use have different color lids and some have different color tubs too. Like pink for the pink shades etc.Mine are on wood shelves.
    Old 11-19-2011, 01:02 PM
    Banned

I have a similar cart in which I store "already in progress" quilts
    Old 11-19-2011, 02:06 PM

I received one of these as a gift last Christmas. I have all of those drawers filled with thread - starting at the bottom with serger thread, working up with machine embroidery threads, hand quilting, piecing, general purpose and specialty threads. I'm considering adding another one for storing purchased and homemade jelly rolls and other precuts,
    Old 11-19-2011, 02:36 PM

I use the six drawer carts on wheels that I got at JoAnn. I have 2 of them and separate my scraps by colros. They roll and fit nicely under my counter so they can be moved out of the way easily.
    Old 11-19-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19
    I was looking through some black friday adds and saw this... Does anyone have one of these? I was wondering if the drawers are stong enough to hold fabric scraps. I don't have a ton, so I won't be stuffing them ( I think) but would hate to buy them if they are not sturdy as this would be the only thing I need them for. Thanks in advance for any input you guys can give me
    I don't have one BECAUSE when I saw it on display, it was so off balance, so light, it would fall over. Now, it might have been that it wasn't really put together too well but if I were you, I'd look at it PERSONALLY before making a purchase. I have the four drawer, plastic, on wheels carts (three smaller drawers on top, one larger drawer on the bottom, with wheels that I don't use) and they are GREAT! Good luck.
    Old 11-19-2011, 03:43 PM

I agree wit Kerry K. I bought one of these (at Costco $18) for stained glass supplies...and have the same problem. The drawers constantly come off the track. Very disappointed. I've seen them at thrift stores probably for the same reason.

I really like the Iris brand scrapbook boxes for my scraps and projects. I watch for sales at Michael's and Hobby Lobby. The clear boxes make it easy to manage the contents.

Originally Posted by KerryK
    I have one of these! I bought mine at Sam's several years ago for $20 just because I thought they were cute. Bought two of them, actually! It's okaaaay ... that's the best I can say. I use mine for stuff that doesn't have to be seen or used daily. The drawers get off track very easily and are rather aggravating. I'm glad I only paid $20 each for mine. I don't think it's worth the $35 price, and for sure would never pay the ridiculous "regular" price. Hope this info helps.