Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Good Sewing Machine at a Reasonable Price >
  • Good Sewing Machine at a Reasonable Price

• Good Sewing Machine at a Reasonable Price

Old 06-07-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by rebeccai
    A few days ago I posted a topic about having problems with my sewing machine. It is a Singer 4220 it wasn't very expensive. However, every time I try to sew I spend more time messing with the machine than I do quilting. So I was wondering if you could give me some advice on a good sewing machine but at a reasonable price. I honestly don't want to spend thousands because I only quilt when time permits. Anything less than a thousand would be good for me. Any suggestions?? I have tried looking online but many of the top name brands don't list prices on their websites.
    Just my random thought.....have you taken your machine for a "looks see" ? maybe the tension just needs adjusting, would be cheaper then a new machine,......just throwing a thought out there.
    Ok having said that, I did pick up a Brother SQ 9000 for approx 150.00 at walmart...I know, I know WALMART? but I have to tell ya for the money spent its been a great lil work horse.
    Old 06-07-2011, 08:35 AM

I agree with craftiladi. I bought a Brother for about $99.00 when I first started quilting (even though I have a very old New Home) and have done almost all of my quilts on it for the past 4 years. I think I just wore it out and went and bought another one at WalMart last weekend for $150.00.
    Old 06-07-2011, 08:55 AM

rebeccai I tried to send you a PM but got a error message from adm...hmmmm no explanation why
    Old 06-07-2011, 09:48 AM

My local Husqvarna Viking dealership has the Sapphire on sale for $599. Regularly $1100. Husqvarna Vikings are very good machines.
    Old 06-07-2011, 04:18 PM

Google for an old sewing machine guy in your area, the kind of old guy that works on them all. Tell him what you do, what you want to do, what you want the machine to do, and what your budget is, and I'll bet that's got exactly what you're looking for somewhere in his back room. (Mine keeps his extras under his work bench.)
    Old 06-07-2011, 04:23 PM

I was fortunate to get a Bernina Activa 145 used several years ago and could actually sell it today for more than I paid for it! That being said, if I were going to get a new machine today - Janome Magnolia series. Price is right and she sings. I was helping a girlfriend try out machines at a quilt show recently and that was the best bang for the buck.