Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Good Use of Price Stickers >
  • Good Use of Price Stickers

• Good Use of Price Stickers

Old 09-23-2012, 06:57 PM

Geez I never change my needle. People will tell you all kinds of things. Especially if it means more money in their pockets.
    Old 09-23-2012, 07:32 PM

me to Neesie not Nessie
    Old 09-23-2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Yeah, I change more often than I used to, also, although I was always pretty good about it. To me, needles are the cheapest/most disposable tools we use and they can make the most difference.
    I also remove the throat plate and bobbin assembly and clean out the 'dust bunnies' with a pastry brush each time I change the bobbin.

Jan in VA
    I use a disposable mascara brush for cleaning the bobbin area. Works great! And, fits into some really small places.
    Old 09-24-2012, 03:11 AM

The needles that I use are colour coded and as the metalfil and topstitch needles are virtually the same, I don't really see the necessity to track them as one can see the size of the hole etc. One also can work out that the hole is too small if the thread shreds. The leather needles are triangular in shape.
    Old 09-24-2012, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by QandE2010
    Here is a tip that I have been using forever and it works for me, so thought I'd pass it on.
    How do you remember what size needle you have in your machine? I keep a supply of round price stickers (purchased from a local office supply store) on hand. When I put a new needle in the machine, I write the size and type of needle (embroidery, jeans, universal, quilting etc) and date on the sticker and put it on my machine. When I go to replace the needle (because I've used it for 12 hours or because I need a different size and type) I take it out and either dispose of it or put the sticker on the blunt end of the neeedle and place the needle in a special pin cushion I keep just for that purpose. You're Welcome.
    Very good idea! Thanks for sharing.

I also like Scissor Queen's idea.
    Old 09-24-2012, 05:36 AM

Glad you shared!
    Old 09-24-2012, 07:22 AM
    Power Poster

Great tip......Thanks
    Old 09-24-2012, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    The needle manufacturers say you're supposed to change it every 8 hours. But that's actual sewing time. I know I don't change mine quite that often but I do change it pretty regular. Since I have several types and sizes of needles I bought a plastic organizer thing that's just the right size to hold the needle packages. I think it's supposed to be for beads. Anyway, I put a button in the space that I take the needle out of. If I use a needle but it's still good I put it back in loose and that way I know it's still good but not brand new. The different color buttons in the box are for different machines.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]364617[/ATTACH]
    Scissor Queen you are the bomb!!! Love your needle and button idea. Thank you for sharing.
    Old 09-24-2012, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma
    My dealer shamed me into being much more diligent about cleaning out my bobbin assembly. They threatened to take my new machine back if I did as poor a job with it as I did with my first machine!! (They were kidding....mostly.) I don't clean it with every bobbin change though, I clean it probably once in the middle of a quilt and then again when I'm done - maybe once more somewhere in there if I'm using linty thread and/or flannel. I don't think I EVER properly cleaned out my first machine though, so that's a HUGE improvement! I thought occasionally blowing on the bobbin case was enough, LOL
    I learned from a sewing machine repair person that we should never blow into our machines or use those pressurized cans used for cleaning computer keyboards because over time, the moisture can create favorable conditions for rust.
    Old 09-24-2012, 01:40 PM

Scissor Queen you have some great ideas!!! I too use baggies but didn't think to use stickers on them, plan to do that for my next project. Awesome Q.B.