Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Good way to use up stash >
  • Good way to use up stash

• Good way to use up stash

Old 08-11-2013, 07:59 PM

Default Good way to use up stash

Participated in a jelly roll race today. There were 14 of us, we worked in pairs so made 7 quilt tops. All the fabric was donated from the personal stash of the quilt shop owner. She decided to get rid of her stash as she has way too much. This kind lady also donated the prizes - my team took 3rd place so we each got a Moda Layer Cake. The first place winner received a quilt kit, 2nd place winner received a bunch of fabric and a pattern. We had a lot of fun, and made some great quilts. All the batting and backing was donated by the quilt shop owner also. All the quilts will be donated to charity. All of the quilting has been donated, along with completing the binding.

I would imagine I could put together at least 10 jelly rolls (and the backing) without seriously depleting my stash - might have to think about getting a group of people together to make some charity quilts this way. Course I wouldn't have the great prizes but I bet I could come up with something. --maybe give away some of the patterns I know I will never use!
    Old 08-11-2013, 09:14 PM

Any pictures? Sounds like it was fun.
    Old 08-11-2013, 09:20 PM

Sounds like this shop owner has a heart for others! So wonderful to hear this!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
    Old 08-11-2013, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7
    Participated in a jelly roll race today. There were 14 of us, we worked in pairs so made 7 quilt tops. All the fabric was donated from the personal stash of the quilt shop owner. She decided to get rid of her stash as she has way too much. This kind lady also donated the prizes - my team took 3rd place so we each got a Moda Layer Cake. The first place winner received a quilt kit, 2nd place winner received a bunch of fabric and a pattern. We had a lot of fun, and made some great quilts. All the batting and backing was donated by the quilt shop owner also. All the quilts will be donated to charity. All of the quilting has been donated, along with completing the binding.

I would imagine I could put together at least 10 jelly rolls (and the backing) without seriously depleting my stash - might have to think about getting a group of people together to make some charity quilts this way. Course I wouldn't have the great prizes but I bet I could come up with something. --maybe give away some of the patterns I know I will never use!
    Glad you had a fun time. I bet your friends would need no prizes to help make charity quilt. Keep us posted on what you decide.
    Old 08-11-2013, 09:41 PM

My stash might not equal some of the ones I have seen examples of on here, but I can't imagine how many 'races' I could make! I have already began cutting some of my scraps with my Go into 2 1/2" strips, so I have a start. It's just getting to the finish that I have trouble with, lately. lol
    Old 08-12-2013, 03:30 AM

Chocolate is allways a great prize
    Old 08-12-2013, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by nanacc
    My stash might not equal some of the ones I have seen examples of on here, but I can't imagine how many 'races' I could make! I have already began cutting some of my scraps with my Go into 2 1/2" strips, so I have a start. It's just getting to the finish that I have trouble with, lately. lol
    I have been doing the same thing! I love that strip cutter...if I never use the Go for another thing that has paid for it..My strips used to be shaped more live a "V"!
    Old 08-12-2013, 06:12 AM
    Power Poster

Sounds like a fun time by all. Nice of everyone to donate time, efforts, and quilty stuff for good causes!
    Old 08-12-2013, 06:32 AM
    Power Poster

Sounds like a great time.
    Old 08-12-2013, 07:17 AM

Sounds like you had a blast. What a generous offering by everyone involved!