Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Goodwill find update! >
  • Goodwill find update!

• Goodwill find update!

Old 01-07-2012, 06:48 PM

Sounds like someone could have a de-stashing sale once you sort through your hall. Is this good quality fabric? I don't think I could resist going back either. Lucky you!!
    Old 01-07-2012, 07:30 PM

Goodwill is a hit or miss thing. I haven't bought too much fabric there, but picked up an old (not too old) sewing machine that needed oiling for 12.21, and a set of two large entertainment centers that are now entertaining my fabric in the garage for $55. Also picked up a wood top ironing board that probably survived from the late 40's or 50's. Unfortunately, it has only one height setting and it is too low for me. I'm trying to talk my DH into putting the board on my "newer" Walmart model as I really like the flatness of the wooden board.

And it's fun to hunt...
    Old 01-08-2012, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    Congratulations! I don't want to be a party pooper but make sure to quarantine it until you get it all washed and dryed in case of guests.
    I agree with Tartan.........get that fabric washed and dried before you do anything with it. Too much risk of pesky bugs, and especially given the warnings about bed bugs in old and stored fabrics and clothing. Having said that, congratulations! You have yourself a once in a lifetime fabric deal. Wish I could be so lucky.
    Old 01-08-2012, 07:02 AM

Wow, congrats! There is nothing like finding such a good deal. Our Goodwills never have much fabric, but other thrift stores in the area do. Go thrift shops, and bless the people who donate fabric there for us to find.
    Old 01-08-2012, 07:05 AM

The only thing that would keep me from going back is a place to store all that fabric. Of course there are friends that might help out. Renting a storage space might be a bit too much. LOL Congrats on your find.
    Old 01-08-2012, 07:30 AM

Hey, could be worse! It could be 170 yards at $8.00-$12.00 a yard! You could always turn it into a money making venture to buy other quilting supplies. Keep what you need or want, then sell the rest for $2.99 a yard. It will then have paid for itself!!
    Old 01-08-2012, 08:56 AM

You lucky gal, so if hubby is unhappy, then remind him that these quality fabrics would cost up to $15.00 a yard if you went to a quality shop to buy, so you actually are saving him money. Be sure to mention saving money??!!! Grinning.
    Old 01-08-2012, 09:32 AM

What? Tell you not to keep going back! I for one will not tell you that. I say don't walk but keep running and buy it up.

You will find a way to buy it at that price cause later in the year what you find there may be seen in a fabric store somewhere at $5 and up a yard. Wish we had such fortune here. I did however last year get some pretty good deals in good quality fabric at about 50 cents or a dollar bundle and most often it was a couple yards or more in each that I bought.

Just act all excited with your hubby by saying something like "look what I got for $1.99 a yard and this stuff cost $5.99 a yard at ???????. I just saved US $4.00 a yard. That's a savings of $680. for 170 yards of fabric. He'll be happy you just saved HIM $680 in the long run.
    Old 01-08-2012, 01:05 PM

I thought I did well. We had a LQS that had fabric for $2.50/yd last week.
    Old 01-08-2012, 04:04 PM

Send the extra down here. Our Goodwill never has fabric and it is a big Goodwill!!!!