Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Got this far, now I need HELP, what next >
  • Got this far, now I need HELP, what next

• Got this far, now I need HELP, what next

Old 04-01-2011, 06:14 AM

Love your quilt = I like the look of green then rope, I might stop there, and again if you need it bigger you could go with the green again after the rope
    Old 04-01-2011, 06:14 AM

Love your quilt = I like the look of green then rope, I might stop there, and again if you need it bigger you could go with the green again after the rope

Oops posted twice
    Old 04-01-2011, 06:24 AM

Rope as the final border, I don't think I would put another green border as there is already alot around the horse blocks. Very nice job so far.
    Old 04-01-2011, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by gal288
    If you do the roping as the first border you will loose the effect of the boxes. I would suggest that you do a border of the green the same width of the spacing between the blocks, the do the roping as a final border. Bind it in the green.

To see if you like what I have suggested, line the green, roping and then green up on one side and see how it looks. That's what I usually do to visualize how it will end up.

I was typing while you were posting.

Love the green border then the roping. Do the darker gold as the binding and the grassy(?) fabric as the backing.

I like what Peg is suggesting, green then roping, then green. Binding could be several different choices. I like to audition by laying out the fabric first. Sometimes taking pictures helps us see the project with a different eyes.

Pam M
    Old 04-01-2011, 06:27 AM

I COULDN'T BELIEVE WHEN I OPENED THIS THREAD AND SAW THE PICTURE. I AM MAKING A QUILT WITH HORSES NOT THE SAME ONE BUT VERY SIMMILAR COLORS AND HAVE THE SAME GREEN SASHING AND AM IN A BIND OF WHAT TO BORDER WITH ALSO. WHAT A HOOT. SO I WILL KEEP READING YOURS. LOLOLOL
    P.S. SEND A PICTURE OF THE FINISHED QUILT SO IT WILL GIVE ME A CLUE WHAT TO DO.
    Old 04-01-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by mimistutz
    Of the second and third picture which way do you think? or do you mean just brown and leave out the other two? Never thought of just plain brown, but that's a good idea. Does it matter how many borders you use, don't want to over do it. Tossed this around in my head all night, I need sleep.LOL
    I HAVE A 2 INCH BORDER OF A DARKER GREEN RIGHT NOW AS MY FIRST BORDER AND WAS THINKG OF DOING A DARK BROWN TINY ONE BEFORE I DO THE FINAL BORDER BUT CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT TO DO THE FINAL BORDER IN. CAN'T BELIEVE HOW SIMILAR OUR HORSE FABRICS ARE.
    Old 04-01-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by mimistutz
    Of the second and third picture which way do you think? or do you mean just brown and leave out the other two? Never thought of just plain brown, but that's a good idea. Does it matter how many borders you use, don't want to over do it. Tossed this around in my head all night, I need sleep.LOL
    I HAVE A 2 INCH BORDER OF A DARKER GREEN RIGHT NOW AS MY FIRST BORDER AND WAS THINKG OF DOING A DARK BROWN TINY ONE BEFORE I DO THE FINAL BORDER BUT CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT TO DO THE FINAL BORDER IN. CAN'T BELIEVE HOW SIMILAR OUR HORSE FABRICS ARE.
    Old 04-01-2011, 06:41 AM

You've done terrific work so far - very nice quilt. I agree with those who say green and then rope, bind in green. But then, whatever you do will be great. My quilt ideas change depending on fabric chosen, size, whatever.
    Old 04-01-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by gal288
    If you do the roping as the first border you will loose the effect of the boxes. I would suggest that you do a border of the green the same width of the spacing between the blocks, the do the roping as a final border. Bind it in the green.

To see if you like what I have suggested, line the green, roping and then green up on one side and see how it looks. That's what I usually do to visualize how it will end up.

I was typing while you were posting.

Love the green border then the roping. Do the darker gold as the binding and the grassy(?) fabric as the backing.
    Yes. I agree.
    Old 04-01-2011, 07:17 AM

If it were mine, I would preview a narrow 3/4 to 1-1/2"darker brown first border with 3-4" of the green grassy print on the outside, then bind it with the rope print cut on the bias. I'd love to see a pic of that :)