Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Got money, going to Paducah, want rulers - what kind? >
  • Got money, going to Paducah, want rulers - what kind?

• Got money, going to Paducah, want rulers - what kind?

Old 04-21-2011, 06:07 PM
    Power Poster

I started a few months ago checking out Facebook, blogs and newsletters for vendor info for Paducah. I always sign up for emails from all the quilt show vendors. You get a heads up before any big show about specials or % off coupons. Accuquilt has a show coupon for % off a purchase at Paducah in today's email. Facebook is where most vendors post and have free give aways, drawings and coupons all year. I love when there is a market show. Most of the quilt blogs have drawings for give aways. I won four yards of fabric, a new just released quilt book, a 100 best Quilt Block magazine, several charm packs and a tower of Moda fat quarters since Jan! All you have to do is post a comment on the blog to win most of the items. We aren't suppose to post about where the give aways or promotions are, when I do the post gets deleted.
    Old 04-21-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rose_P
    I have rulers from 4 different brands, and I lined them up side by side, and they are all exactly in agreement about the length of an inch. They also line up perfectly with my Olfa cutting mats. The advice to buy all the same brand may have originated with one of the earlier companies hoping to discourage us from buying competitor's stuff. Or maybe there are some quilters out there who are OCD enough that they're using microscopes to check for accuracy. I'll admit I'm not one of them. One word of caution: If rulers are different thicknesses, when you look at them from an angle, there may be a tendency to see the lines differently because the light is distorted, sort of like looking through a glass measuring cup at an angle.
    I have a mixed bag of rulers, and the colorings and 1/4 or 1/8 spacings are marked differently. So for me, cutting with Fiskars in pink with poor delineation of the fractions, and no 'peek' area where the fabric should sit just at the edge of the ruler, is not so good as when I grab the Omnigrid. But the Omnigrids with dayglo yellow are too distracting! And the Creative Quilter squares are different in coloring and fraction markings than the June Tailor....So every time I cut something, I have to make a visual adjustment to be aware of the marking system, whereas if I had all same brand, I would have the same 'signposts' to make reading easier, just like the icons on the computer allow you to speed along as opposed to reading everything. Of course, my eyes are not great and I need the assistance. So, if I had it to do over again, I'd go with one brand. Sally Collins recommends it in her book, and it is only for consistency in reading the measurement.
    Old 04-22-2011, 04:25 AM

Thanks Bella I can find them from your information.
    Old 04-22-2011, 08:33 AM

Thanks everyone ... I've jotted prices for most of the rulers on the Joanne's site and I'll take that to the show to compare prices.

Now to figure out what other neat quilty things I NEED :) Hubby gave me $$ to play with and I fully intend on making sure his gift is appreciated.
    Old 04-22-2011, 09:02 AM

Have fun!!
    Old 04-22-2011, 09:14 AM
    Power Poster

I posted about the free admission ticket to the quilt show on the links and resources page, the tickets were available for two days before they were gone. I received my free ticket in the mail yesterday. Also Eleanor Burns had 30% and 25% off any item in her store coupons on her website a few weeks ago. You can renew your subscription even if it's not expired, to get the free gift. I know I'll renew anyway so may as well get a free gift that is actually worth something. I have as much fun planning how much I'll save as I do planning to go. LOL
    Old 04-22-2011, 04:25 PM

I have switched all my rulers out and bought Creative Grid. I love the fine lines. Hope you can try different ones out at Padukah and get the ones you like.