Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Grandma's flower garden >
  • Grandma's flower garden

• Grandma's flower garden

Old 09-23-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cagey
    I found this picture of a GFG on-line. A little different from the traditional. What do you think? (hope the picture posts)

Guess the picture didn't post. Anyway, instead of the traditional hexagon, it has 3 green hexagons on top and bottom for a more triangle appearance instead of round.
    Old 09-23-2011, 08:38 AM

I've made one like that for my daughter. I used the same color block in the middle and then scraps for the rest of the flowers.
    Old 09-23-2011, 08:43 AM

I like scrap quilts the best, so many colors., here's one that I haven't finished yet, it is for our son and his wife, this Christmas, 2011...dee

It is made with 2 1/2 " squares, fun but a lot of work...
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-261118.jpe  
    Old 09-23-2011, 09:12 AM

I think you definitely should go for it.
    Old 09-23-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Carol J.
    Each flower is edged with a solid color and you "walk" through the garden of flowers on this path. If the flowers are printed fabric, the path would be solid so each flower will show up. If you put the flowers side by side without the path, they will just be a jumble of color. Each garden has a path you can walk on to see the flowers in your own garden and Grandmother's Garden.
    A logical question if you have never seen this design. Grandmother's Garden pattern has been around for many years and the arrangements just as many. I first saw it when I was a child in the 30's, my mother loved it, was her favorite and so easy to make but best done by hand, the seams are too short to use the sewing machine.

Carol J.
    I now get it....I had been picturing the Dresden Plate and couldn't figure out the "path" thing.
    Old 09-23-2011, 11:36 AM

I am making one but I don't know how to sandwhich it maybe someone could help me. Thank You
    Old 09-23-2011, 11:42 AM

I am in process of doing GFG. I purchased a hexagon paper punch on ebay (Creative Memories punch). My hexagons are 1". I use old manilla file folders for the hexagons & cut a 2" square of fabric for the 1" hexagons. I have over 60 flowers done now. It is my take along project for appts. or wherever I might be waiting for something. I love doing it.
    Old 09-23-2011, 12:11 PM

Sailsablazin - I think the path is a circuit of one colour inbetween and around each flower motif (of 7 pieces, one centre and 6 petals surrounding it)

Mine is going to be a little different, and possibly rather odd, because I planning a pictorial quilt of a garden - lawn area, paths, garden beds, a woodland with bluebells and an orchard - all done in hexagons and then quilted as a GFG ... stitch in the ditch between each hexagon with one colour for all the centres, one for all the petals and one for the 'inbetween' but I was going to use a version of GFG that i've seen where there is a triangle of about three hexagons inbetween each flower set, turning the flowers into star shapes by giving them leaves ...

Haven't got enough hexagons to lay them out and play yet but the progress will be reported in my diary on this forum, called My Quilting Journal.

I've no idea where this is going to lead me! (but I've been fabric shopping again today and bought 'woodland floor' and ''hedges' LOL!)
    Helen
    Old 09-23-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter54
    I am in process of doing GFG. I purchased a hexagon paper punch on ebay (Creative Memories punch). My hexagons are 1". I use old manilla file folders for the hexagons & cut a 2" square of fabric for the 1" hexagons. I have over 60 flowers done now. It is my take along project for appts. or wherever I might be waiting for something. I love doing it.
    It is alot of fun. Happy Quilting! ! !
    Old 09-23-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by ScoutingSquirrel
    Sailsablazin - I think the path is a circuit of one colour inbetween and around each flower motif (of 7 pieces, one centre and 6 petals surrounding it)

Mine is going to be a little different, and possibly rather odd, because I planning a pictorial quilt of a garden - lawn area, paths, garden beds, a woodland with bluebells and an orchard - all done in hexagons and then quilted as a GFG ... stitch in the ditch between each hexagon with one colour for all the centres, one for all the petals and one for the 'inbetween' but I was going to use a version of GFG that i've seen where there is a triangle of about three hexagons inbetween each flower set, turning the flowers into star shapes by giving them leaves ...

Haven't got enough hexagons to lay them out and play yet but the progress will be reported in my diary on this forum, called My Quilting Journal.

I've no idea where this is going to lead me! (but I've been fabric shopping again today and bought 'woodland floor' and ''hedges' LOL!)
    Helen
    Looking forward to seeing what this all looks like..can't wait.