Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Grandmother's Chicago's World Fair Quilt Entry >
  • Grandmother's Chicago's World Fair Quilt Entry

• Grandmother's Chicago's World Fair Quilt Entry

Old 09-05-2012, 02:01 PM

Default Grandmother's Chicago's World Fair Quilt Entry

I have inherited my Grandmother's quilt which was entered in the Sears and Roebuck Chicago World's Fair in 1933.
    It won honorable mention. I do not have a letter or ribbon but there is an entry tag still attached to the corner of the quilt.

I am having difficulty proving this quilt was one of the entries since the tag does not look like other tags on some of the quilts. Do any of you have knowledge of anyone who had an ancester who entered the quilt contest? My Grandmother had previously lived in Chicago but had moved back to Alabama when the contest occurred. The contest was announced in the Sears and Roebuck catalog in the 30's.

I am determined to prove this quilt was entered. I never knew my Grandmother but she was a woman who faced a lot of adversity in her life and "kept ticking". She went from a very comfortable life to becoming the bread winner and keeping her family together doing any and every job. Her faith in God kept her strong and I cherish her memory.
    Old 09-05-2012, 03:09 PM

I'd start my journey by writing the Sears headquarters--explaining my quest, and ask for their help. Be sure to have good pix ready, of both the quilt and especially the tag, in the event they ask you for more information. I'd certainly be trying to authenticate if it had been MY granny's quilt.
    Old 09-05-2012, 05:35 PM
    Power Poster

This web site has some info on the 1933 quilt contest - http://www.illinoisquilthistory.com/qhsworldsfair.html - and there's an email contact address.
    Old 09-06-2012, 07:24 PM

Oh my novice, so sorry to hear this. What a very special quilt and a very special Grandmother! I wish you good luck and please keep us posted! OK?
    Old 09-06-2012, 07:39 PM

I believe I just read an article in one of the quilting magazines about this contest and some of the controversy surrounding the winner. It was in the last few months, but I can't put my hands on it at the moment. The controversy was over both the content of the winning quilts (quilters had been told that quilts were to follow the theme of the world's fair and the winner did not do that) and who actually made the winning quilt. The winner farmed out different parts of the process to different piecers and quilters and did not in fact make it herself, which was one of the requirements of the contest.

I'd love to see the quilt if you feel like posting a photo. What a treasure!

I'll post a link to the article if I can find it. The author may be of help to you.

Here's a link to an author and article which should be helpful: http://www.quiltindex.org/essay.php?kid=3-98-3B

Last edited by LyndaOH; 09-06-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    Old 09-06-2012, 07:45 PM

And here's a link to the list of winners: http://www.quiltindex.org/~quilti/wi...ist_of_Winners

I can't wait to hear how this turns out!
    Old 09-06-2012, 08:07 PM

I do hope that you are able to find documentation to prove that your Grandmother's quilt was entered into the 1933 Chicago Fair. Hopefully the article/information provided by LyndaOH will be what you need to do so. Good luck on your search and please provide us with an update of what you find and a picture of your quilt.
    Old 06-18-2024, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by novicesew
    I have inherited my Grandmother's quilt which was entered in the Sears and Roebuck Chicago World's Fair in 1933.
    It won honorable mention. I do not have a letter or ribbon but there is an entry tag still attached to the corner of the quilt.

I am having difficulty proving this quilt was one of the entries since the tag does not look like other tags on some of the quilts. Do any of you have knowledge of anyone who had an ancester who entered the quilt contest? My Grandmother had previously lived in Chicago but had moved back to Alabama when the contest occurred. The contest was announced in the Sears and Roebuck catalog in the 30's.

I am determined to prove this quilt was entered. I never knew my Grandmother but she was a woman who faced a lot of adversity in her life and "kept ticking". She went from a very comfortable life to becoming the bread winner and keeping her family together doing any and every job. Her faith in God kept her strong and I cherish her memory.
    Hi Novicesew,
    Have you gotten the answers you were looking for from 11 years ago? If not…In the back of the book “Patchwork souveniers of the 1933 World’s Fair,” the authors have listed several honorable mention winners. Your grandmother might be one of them listed.
    Old 06-18-2024, 08:03 PM
    Power Poster

Nova Montgomery has made it her mission to track down the quilts and document of this fair. She knows more these quilts and the contest then anyone. Please get in touch with her. Her lecture about this contest and the quilt entries is enthralling. The winner did not make the quilt. Sad but true. The whole contest was sad. There is one place that has collected a lot of these quilts that were entered. I forgot but Nova will certainly know.

https://www.novamontgomery.com/quilt...sentations.htm
    Old 06-21-2024, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by angieakr
    Hi Novicesew,
    Have you gotten the answers you were looking for from 11 years ago?
    Sadly, I don't think we'll ever know. This was her most recent post. Unsolved mysteries are the worst, lol.