Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Grandmothers flower garden help >
  • Grandmothers flower garden help

• Grandmothers flower garden help

Old 04-13-2013, 06:40 PM

Suggestion for those ordering Brandy's templates....get 2 bags of the hexes, because you leave some in while sewing them together and you can run out if you are making a larger quilt. Saves on shipping.
    Old 04-15-2013, 12:25 PM

Ok - HELP all you hexie makers. I have the Go! die for hexies. It cuts following sizes: 1" sides (cuts 2"Wx1-3/4"), 1-1/2" sides (cuts 3"Wx2-5/8H), 2-1/2" sides (cuts 5"Wx4-3/8H). What size Brandy's mylar pieces should I buy for each? 1" - 1-1/2" & 2-1/2" ???
    Old 04-16-2013, 07:29 AM

I need ideas on how to finish the edges once the flowers are all sewn together & the top is done
    (one of these days).
    Old 04-16-2013, 07:34 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Originally Posted by humbird
    I do right sides together, whip stitch, catching just a few threads on each hexie. Have not had a problem with the stitchs showing. Just keep them small. Many people use the ladder stitch, which is nearly invisable, but I have a bit of a problem with that, altho I do use it for applique. Try the different methods and see what works best for you. I have been using quilting thread for piecing. Strong, and dosen't fray.

Beware, GFG can become addictive! I'm on #3.
    I agree with Humbird ! have done several.. but use "Quilt Pattis" don't know if anylonger sold. good luck. wow.. one inch sides.. lots of little ones ! use 1 1/2 in sides.. have fun ! also. I made floweretts first then assembled.
    Old 04-16-2013, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by chairjogger
    I agree with Humbird ! have done several.. but use "Quilt Pattis" don't know if anylonger sold. good luck. wow.. one inch sides.. lots of little ones ! use 1 1/2 in sides.. have fun ! also. I made floweretts first then assembled.
    chairjogger, I love the quilt in your avatar. Could you tell me what size hexagons and diamonds you used for it? I plan to do diamonds to make stars but not sure if I'll set them together with hexagons or more diamonds. Yours is so pretty. Is there a larger photo of it here on the board?
    Old 04-16-2013, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by judykay
    I need ideas on how to finish the edges once the flowers are all sewn together & the top is done
    (one of these days).
    I like to applique mine to a stright border, so I don't lose the hexagon shape. I like to applique something in the border, but you would'nt need to. Perhaps do a double border or even three. I may do that to the one I am working on now. That applique takes a loooong time!!!
    Old 05-10-2013, 04:41 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]412779[/ATTACH]Ok this is it so far, thanks for all your help and encouragement
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Old 05-10-2013, 04:56 PM

Oh - now I really need to find mine that I started years ago - they are in a little plastic box somewhere. You are giving me the bug!
    Old 05-10-2013, 05:00 PM

Go to Bonnie Hunter's web site and see how she has done hers, they are absolutely gorgeous !!!

www.quiltvillechat.com or www.quiltville.com not sure which it is as I follow her blog and receive emails everyday and don't pay any attention to the web site address.

You hexies are so adorable, I am doing a couple of projects using hexies and have several ideas. They are great to go hand projects. Not sure when my big one that I want to do will get done but it is on my bucket list. I am currently working on a table topper for my buffet but it is not a GFG design but oblong.

Good Luck with yours..