Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Grandmother's Flower Garden >
  • Grandmother's Flower Garden

• Grandmother's Flower Garden

Old 12-13-2014, 07:41 AM

Just want to throw this out there. I'm working on (between other projects) the 1" hexies. 1" is measured on the side, I believe someone said scrap-bookers measure across, just FYI. When using 1" hexies, instead of cutting hexies fabric, use 2.5" squares and trim after piecing together. I was advised to cut squares 1.5" bigger than hexie. (1" = 2.5") (3/4" = 2.25") (1/2 = 2") etc. Personally, I find the 1" easy to handle for a newbie (which I am LOL)

I had 2.5" squares pre-cut for a postage stamp quilt but started using them for my GFG. I was cutting 2.5 squares from any left over fabric and hubby was sorting by color. Here is one of the boxes I let him use to organize LOL. I now am up to 3 boxes, They are the 13 X 13 paper boxes for scrapbookers.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]502332[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails ok-017.jpg  

Last edited by AZ Jane; 12-13-2014 at 07:44 AM.
    Old 12-13-2014, 08:14 AM
    tmw

can I give you all a idea? I don't like to work with really small pieces, I was watching Eleanor Burns on Quilt in a Day series and she did a Grandmothers flower garden block with only three pieces, her book is called Egg Money Quilts.I've started some blocks and there not hard to do, but it will still take me awhile to get it done.
    Old 12-13-2014, 10:11 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by lynnie
    I'm working on a 3/4" I use Fiskers punches and junk mail. I have the 3/4" and the 1" size. My punch pooped out so fiskers sent me a new punch. great company to work with too.
    If and when, and that's a big IF, i'd do it in 1", these 3/4" are crazy to work with. I'm saving the 1/2" for when they lock me in the institution for crazy quilt ladies.
    have fun. see ya there ^.
    Oh No Lynnie. LOL .You can not have needle, thread, paper punch, scissors, etc. Sorry to disappoint you. You may have crayons and a coloring book. Juanita
    Old 12-13-2014, 01:20 PM

I use 1 1/2
    Old 12-13-2014, 03:19 PM

I bought my Accuquilt Go just for making hexis. I cut my cardstock with the small Hexi and fabric with the middle Hexi. I have almost finished my second GFG and have my third cut out. I have since started using my Go for other projects, but it would still be worth it for me if I only ever used the one die. I did make a throw with the large Hexi once but did that with the setting triangles and machine pieced and quilted the entire thing in a weekend.
    Old 12-13-2014, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by tmw
    can I give you all a idea? I don't like to work with really small pieces, I was watching Eleanor Burns on Quilt in a Day series and she did a Grandmothers flower garden block with only three pieces, her book is called Egg Money Quilts.I've started some blocks and there not hard to do, but it will still take me awhile to get it done.
    I did see her video on youtube.com.
    Old 12-13-2014, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane
    Just want to throw this out there. I'm working on (between other projects) the 1" hexies. 1" is measured on the side, I believe someone said scrap-bookers measure across, just FYI. When using 1" hexies, instead of cutting hexies fabric, use 2.5" squares and trim after piecing together. I was advised to cut squares 1.5" bigger than hexie. (1" = 2.5") (3/4" = 2.25") (1/2 = 2") etc. Personally, I find the 1" easy to handle for a newbie (which I am LOL)

I had 2.5" squares pre-cut for a postage stamp quilt but started using them for my GFG. I was cutting 2.5 squares from any left over fabric and hubby was sorting by color. Here is one of the boxes I let him use to organize LOL. I now am up to 3 boxes, They are the 13 X 13 paper boxes for scrapbookers.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]502332[/ATTACH]
    I love your avatar!
    Old 12-14-2014, 12:45 AM

My first GFG I did by hand and did not use the paper or plastic pieces - I just cut them out, drew a 1/4 inch line on them and then sewed them together. I did the 3 inch size because it was my first time hand quilting. My quilt turned out to be huge and I still have enough flowers left over for another twin size quilt.

Now I have a 1 inch size going - it is my quick take along project, so it there is no dead line to getting it done.
    Old 12-14-2014, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Forgiven
    GFG is on my bucket list. Does anyone know if you can use the sewline glue pen on mylar hexies?
    I read somewhere that the sewline glue pen does not work well with the plastic patis, but I don't have those, so I have not had personal experience.
    Old 12-14-2014, 06:33 AM

Yes EB does do GFG in her egg money book, but she uses fusible non woven interfacing...and fuses each flower onto a block. I haven't tried it, but it looks like a fun way to do an old fashioned block.

She does have a pattern/template for honeycomb....large hexie w/ triangles....I have it, haven't tried it yet....
    Her patterns are easy and reasonably priced.....