Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Gray haired "old woman" and JoAnn's young sales clerk >
  • Gray haired "old woman" and JoAnn's young sales clerk

• Gray haired "old woman" and JoAnn's young sales clerk

Old 10-29-2009, 12:05 PM
    Power Poster

I just told my husband your story and even he knew what it was.
    Old 10-29-2009, 12:15 PM

This is funny, but the sad thing is ... I am 58 and had NO idea what a dressmaker's ham is...I would have a 'deer in the headlights' look on my face too, LOL.

Thanks for the posts one what a 'ham' is... now I will know unless I forget...

warm quilt hugs sue
    Old 10-29-2009, 01:00 PM

I went to an arboretum with my sister and our daughters. When we got up to the window, we told the lady the ages of our daughters, and she leaned over the counter and said in a very high voice, "And how old are youuuu?"

I said, " Ma'am, I am 29 years old."

I sure hope that I don't look like a teenager when my daughter was 9 years old!!
    Old 10-29-2009, 01:10 PM

Would a "quilter only" have the need or knowledge of a ham. I've only used them for garments. But employees should know their products, at least most of them, unless it is their first day on the job.
    Old 10-29-2009, 01:15 PM
    Fox

I Love It!! That's the best I've ever heard.

I've worked in fabric stores, and some customers make you wonder why they ever came in. Once, on a huge sale day (Oh why do they always come in on a sale day!) a woman came in looking out of place. She looked confused, worried by all the shoppers pulling bolts off shelves, stuffing them quickly into carts and moving to the next grouping of fabrics. While helping another customer I quickly asked if I could help her find something.

"White. I need white."

" White," I said. "Do you want satin, polyester, cotton..."

"White. I need white."

Again, I aswered with different names while my customer looked on giving her own suggestions, then gave me a dismissing nod meaning "Your guess is as good as mine." I nodded back and started a fabric tour with my new customer.

"White. I need white."

After a few minutes of this, she was more frustrated, and I wasn't far behind her! That was the only thing she would say. I finally turned her over to another clerk, who had the patience of a SAINT, who could ask the correct questions to define her problem. She needed "WHITE" for a replacement collar on a shirt, something she couldn't tell me apparently. She was one of the many that didn't know what they want, or how to accomplish the task...the type that will finally ask if we could do the job for them..then be insenced that we would suggest a dressmaker. Which would always be followed by the threat of calling the head office to complain that we were being rude.

I always wanted to put a sign on the door: "Non Sewers need not enter!"
    Old 10-29-2009, 01:29 PM

Thanks for the laugh! Although everyone is dissing the girl, you've got to give her credit for being kind. I think it's sweet she tried. And I have to agree that service at Joann's is always less than stellar. I pretty much know that I won't be getting any answers to questions when I go in.
    Old 10-29-2009, 01:46 PM

That was hilarious! I only know what it is due to some disasterous sewing lessons. Give me straight lines (and no ruffles)!

When I started working for my veterinarian father, there was no doubt I'd be asked questions I'd have no clue about. My mom taught me to say that's a good question, let me find out.
    Old 10-29-2009, 01:49 PM

I wish we still had a Joann's here & in Tyler. They both went out of business. Next time you go there, find her & show her what you are talking about.
    Old 10-29-2009, 02:04 PM

I laughed so hard I spit out the Sprite I was drinking! Now I have to clean my monitor!
    I hope you don't mind, but I just had to email this to my girlfriends! They will get such a good laugh over this one!

Thank you for the great laugh!
    Old 10-29-2009, 03:00 PM

This is too funny.
    But, I have to feel sorry for today's young people. Their parents both work and the young people have no idea what is in this world except a computer and cell phone. I just wish they would learn to talk. Must be some kind of new slang. I can't go through the drive-in anymore as I can't understand what they are saying. I even had my ear checked to be sure I wasn't losing it.
    You have to watch at JoAnn's that they don't cheat you on measuring your fabric. The young girls will put their finger on the yd mark, then use the other side of their thumb to measure the next yd. It will come out at least 4 inches short on 4 yards. I wish JoAnn's had some training. And don't ask about the different kinds of fabric, they never heard of it. I wanted flannel and was told where the fleece was. And this is in TX and OK.