Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Guess what I found? >
  • Guess what I found?

• Guess what I found?

Old 11-21-2010, 08:55 AM

I found them at Winco, which is a chain here in the west, mostly Idaho. I do make my own bread, cookies cake, etc, but with only 2 of us, it would take a while to use that much flour. I will grab some after thanksgiving if they're available. When you buy buckets or anything plastic to store food, make sure it is food grade. Much plastic is not, and can leach chemicals into food. Where can you find mylar bags?
    Old 11-21-2010, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by azsupergram
    I doubt that any agency collecting food for the needy would use flour or other staples out of the original container. They would be concerned it was tampered with. If you want to buy and donate, I would suggest taking it in unopened and ask them to give the fabric back to you.
    I concur. This is a time when agencies can't afford to take chances.
    Old 11-21-2010, 10:00 AM

I have read Bay Leaves in the cabinet deter them and also boric acid for crawlies
    Old 11-21-2010, 10:09 AM

I have always stored my flour, beans are any of the dried products in my freezer. I have never had a problem with it affecting the ingredients.
    Old 11-21-2010, 10:22 AM

I always store my flour in the freezer. If you want one of these and have the room, just store the excess in your freezer. It doesn't hurt anything.
    Old 11-21-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by cosyquilter
    I was at my local grocer's today, picking up Thanksgiving and saw: FLOUR IN REAL FLOUR SACKS! Sweet florals just like the ones my mom bought in the fifties! About $3 more than the paper sacks. If I had a place to store 25 lbs, I might have bought a bag. Maybe after Christmas I'll indulge, just for the memory.
    I remember my Mama telling of wearing flour sack dresses. I would love to have some of these. You can put flour in the freezer too. Some canning jars are for canning and freezing.
    Old 11-21-2010, 12:44 PM

You can store in plastic bags in freezer or you could divide and share w/ friends or church food pantrys. Senior citizen centers have elderly that need assistance w/ food as they are on SS/SSI. Happy Thanksgiving!
    Old 11-21-2010, 12:50 PM

I was at work shopping today and found the Blue bird flour in sacks,I was surprised,we must have just gotten them in,they are just plain white bags with the blue bird logo,very cool though
    Old 11-21-2010, 03:28 PM

If I were you I would hang a note in the store if they allow it,to any one who buys it to let the cashier know if you can get it from them,just a thought.
    Old 11-21-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by ljsunflower
    You store those types of things in buckets. You can find food grade buckets at restaurants, delis, bakeries, etc. Or you can buy the mylar bags & line the buckets with them. We've used the Homer buckets you get at Home Depot before. If you put your sack of flour or whatever down in your freezer for a day or two, it will kill whatever bugs or eggs happen to be there.
    yep, and drop an oxygen absorber or two in there and even if something were there to hatch, it won't. (and live anyway)