Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Guild meeting hospitality >
  • Guild meeting hospitality

• Guild meeting hospitality

Old 03-26-2012, 05:31 AM

I don't belong to a guild but was president of our school's PTO. We had a hospitality chair whose responsibility it was to call people to bring in baked goods or some other snack. She never called people and then bought items and the PTO budget paid. What a pain in the neck.

The meetings started at 7 PM. Most were stay at home or early home from work parents so had eaten before coming. And none of us really needed the calories. (Including me, so I'm not being weight-biased.)

Do away with the snacks. People coming straight from work can plan for something to eat before or when they get there. I do this if I have an evening class.
    Old 03-26-2012, 06:07 AM

Ours is a large guild -- monthly newsletter sent the week prior to the meeting tells us what letters of the alphabet will be bringing snacks -- the letters vary by month -- some bring; some don't; some come; some don't: not a biggy! It seems to work well with a group of just under 200 at each meeting -- our group likes to eat!
    Old 03-26-2012, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lizzytish
    The guild I belong to has a monthly sign up and everyone signs up for at least one month.
    Same with my guild. Often a "bee" group will sign up for refreshments for a certain month. We have a hospitality committee chairman who keeps a notebook and if she has open dates, she'll send the book around at guild meetings and ask that more people sign up. We usually have no shortage of snacks!
    Old 03-26-2012, 07:00 AM

We decided to discontinue the snacks. Our meeting is at 7, and most of us have just finished dinner, and very few members wanted to bring or eat anything. Plus, it interrupted the flow of the meeting, till everyone got up and got something, had their coffee etc., so we only have snacks at Christmas.
    Old 03-26-2012, 07:31 AM

This is a ditto for my group too, use a monthly sign-up list.

Originally Posted by Lizzytish
    The guild I belong to has a monthly sign up and everyone signs up for at least one month.
    Old 03-26-2012, 07:35 AM

At mine you bring a treat in your brithday month. That way several bring a treat. It's a large guild.
    Old 03-26-2012, 07:45 AM

Some people have food allergies or food related health issues and do not want to constantly have to explain why they don't want to eat (or can't eat) the treats. I'm in a group that meets at our local library & the core ladies who do just about everything know what's going on, new members do not. Our group does just snacks (not usually messy ones), whatever you brought goes on the table to share. We are responsible for bringing our own drinks, preferably with tight fitting lids.
    Old 03-26-2012, 08:26 AM

our guild never has snacks
    Old 03-26-2012, 10:44 AM

I used to have a group meeting every week in my home to make quilts. I did not want to serve anything because most of us are too fat anyway. Think about it....the fat ones outnumber the thin ones at least two to one. After all the definition of "obese" is 20 pounds over ideal!! We are all able to go one or two hours without putting something in our mouth.(medical conditions excepted)
    Old 03-26-2012, 11:26 AM

I like the idea of calling for a vote as to whether to continue snacks. As Jan pointed out, quilting and snacks don't go together very well.