Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Gutermann thread >
  • Gutermann thread

• Gutermann thread

Old 01-27-2015, 05:49 AM

Your thread spool is obviously a defective batch...I love Guterman...have all types and all colours and weights...never had a problem like that...
    Old 01-28-2015, 04:58 AM

I was wondering if the thread were a different weight.
    Old 01-28-2015, 05:18 AM

My LQS tells me to use Guetermann or mettler on my Janome . BUT...be sure Guetermann was made in either Germany or Greece, NOT Iin Mexico. Where was yours made?
    Old 01-28-2015, 06:07 AM

I use Gutermann all the time (my machine doesn't like anything else). I have had that problem in the past (it's been a few years), at that time thread that was made in Mexico was shipped to the US. So after that bad batch, I have always checked to make sure each spool I pick up doesn't say Mexico on it. Take the spool back to the place you got it, even without your receipt they should replace it. If it's just a bad spool the store won't know much about it, but if it's a bad batch again then they should have been getting returns right and left. Don't be afraid to pull the thread off the spool the look at it, you can always lock it back down. Good luck (at the time of the last bad batches, it came out that the thread Gutermann had made in Mexico would be classed as seconds not the normal qualit).
    Old 01-28-2015, 06:17 AM

I had to buy a black in a pinch at my LQS and found it to be so linty. They stock Aurifil now and I bought it in the basic colors.
    Old 01-28-2015, 06:34 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Gaby
    My LQS tells me to use Guetermann or mettler on my Janome . BUT...be sure Guetermann was made in either Germany or Greece, NOT Iin Mexico. Where was yours made?
    Guttermann thread is now made in Germany. It was made in Mexico.
    Old 01-28-2015, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lyncat
    I was wondering if the thread were a different weight.
    That was my thought too. I buy Gutterman all the time, as well as Mettler (my 2 favorite choices) and never had any problems.

I've accidentally bought 2-ply and had breakage.
    Old 01-28-2015, 07:13 AM

For all my piecing, I use Prescencia (a 60/3 thread made in Spain) in the basic neutrals, but for topstitching, etc., I always buy the cotton Gutterman (50/3), because it is good quality and readily available at JoAnn's. I have not had a problem with it so far and will start looking at the spools to make sure it's not made in Mexico. Aurifil is 50/2, so I don't use it. I use the Mettler Silk (50/2) for applique, but not for machine stitching.
    Old 01-28-2015, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Gaby
    Gaby, I also have a Janome and so far, it's done very well with any and all thread I've used. It came with a spool of Mettler (which the LQS sells) but now I use mostly Superior So Fine #50. It also sews great with Coats & Clark and a few other old spools of label-less thread, I've found in my old sewing supplies.

A LQS will generally recommend a thread it sells, in order to sell you thread. It pays to try different brands, until you find your own favorite.
    Old 01-28-2015, 10:14 AM

All my Pfaffs and my Viking will sew or embroider any brand. I personally love Guttermann, BUT only if it was made in Germany.