Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Had house fire last year. Remember me? >
  • Had house fire last year. Remember me?

• Had house fire last year. Remember me?

Old 02-02-2014, 09:48 AM

Sooo glad you are back to creating beautiful things! One tip for pressing - always "iron" a small section of your ironing surface and test the temp carefully with your hand to see that it is not too hot before you use it on your precious project.
    Old 02-02-2014, 09:52 AM

You are one lucky lady to have caught that! I think there is something worng with the Rowenta, I've had two Rowenta irons go on me….they became very, very hot, then wouldn't cool down, then refused to go on again when plugged in! And they were both the expensive ones! You are right to warn everyone to be cautious…..we quilters use irons as a MAJOR tool. We can't be careful enough….!
    Old 02-02-2014, 09:54 AM

I probably will be able to recover the board that got burnt. Funny thing. This iron I always left plugged in and there was a little blue light to tell you it was turned off. Daughter was ALWAYS screaming at me to not leave it plugged in. When this happened this morning...I actually was using it..but the thought flashed a memory. Many of you may remember I lost my Dog "Puppy" and my 2 ten yr old kitties. I cry still for them. But the horror of it today was I now have a 2 yr old fur baby who is the absolute sweetest thing. What if the house caught fire again...? I would have to run out into traffic.

Lucky for me, though, I had a spare iron in the closet. Whew! Can still sew today.

I, too, always never leave anything else plugged in. Same as you-all...never leave coffee pot ....toaster..plugged in. Why I did this iron...who knows. Just glad I was home when this happened. Could not handle losing another puppy.

Last edited by oldpiglady; 02-02-2014 at 09:58 AM.
    Old 02-02-2014, 10:17 AM

Bless your heart, I am so glad you caught this iron in time!! I usually unplug my iron whenever I leave the room, even for 10 minutes. Thanks for the reminder!!!
    Old 02-02-2014, 10:27 AM

I do remember and am so glad you caught it in time. That is really terrifying to say the least. Finish that quilt but buy a new iron for sure. Wishing you good health and no fires.
    Old 02-02-2014, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt
    I do remember and am so glad you caught it in time. That is really terrifying to say the least. Finish that quilt but buy a new iron for sure. Wishing you good health and no fires.
    Just so happens...I had another one in the closet.

p.s. yay! My 200th post. lol
    Old 02-02-2014, 10:38 AM

Just a thought here for those who have iron problems. What is the age of the house or the electrical wiring in the room you sew in. I know my mothers house I have to be careful of what plug-in I use for my iron. Her wiring is old. Just thinking here.........I have never had an iron do what some of yours are doing and never heard of anything like that until I got on this board. Maybe I've just been lucky!
    Old 02-02-2014, 10:47 AM

I leave my iron plugged into the power BUT. I have the radio plugged in to the same socket, so if I can hear the radio it means the iron is on,this is a great help if DH goes down stairs to lock up at night
    Old 02-02-2014, 10:58 AM

Issues with house wiring exist on newer homes also. Twice during lightning storms we have had my husband's coffee grinder turn on by itself, spewing coffee beans throughout the kitchen. It took happening twice before we were smart enough to unplug the thing when not in use! Recently I had an older Japanese bread kneader have a short in its cord, making a spark and popping sound before dying. Now none of the outlets on that wall of the kitchen work. Time to get an electrician out. Our home is fewer than 10 years old.
    Old 02-02-2014, 11:02 AM

I also have not seen things go so wrong with new appliances as I have seen the last few years. I believe things are just not built to last the way they were years ago. I really am happy you were there when the iron went bad. I will surly be more careful to unplug mine when I leave the room.