Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Had house fire last year. Remember me? >
  • Had house fire last year. Remember me?

• Had house fire last year. Remember me?

Old 02-03-2014, 06:10 AM

OMG, thankful it wasn't any worse!
    Old 02-03-2014, 06:37 AM

Oldpiglady, Welcome back and so sorry about your house fire ,but double happy that you caught this iron before it
    caused more damage. I always unplug things may even start unplugging this thing also. When I was small our home caught fire from a chimney fire that scared me so bad that through life I've been over concerned about fires. Don't think I would buy another Hamilton Beach iron. Don't think it's the quilt your making just a coincidence, thank God you caught it in time.. Happy quilting
    Old 02-03-2014, 06:44 AM

For the past three years I have heated my iron on my wood stove, but I was so happy to get an electric iron a few months ago...now I think I will go back to my "cordless" iron again! Scary, I have never been in a house fire or anything but that is a fear I have. So sorry for your loss last year.
    Old 02-03-2014, 07:46 AM

Do you ever think that possibly, that quilt pattern is not the one for you? I think I would let that pattern go by the wayside and start something else. I know, crazy, but that is my thoughts.
    Old 02-03-2014, 07:57 AM

How scary was that for you, just awful, but thank goodness you were right there to catch it.
    Having been in the same boat as you, having a house burn down 12 years ago, I know how super vigilant I am now about anything electric and ours burned from a lightening strike but you can't be too careful.
    Old 02-03-2014, 08:04 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Every since you had your housefire, I started unplugging my iron all the time now .. DH thinks I am nuts; which is ok by me !LOL but if it will save a fire I am all for it.
    I do hope your new digs are sufficient for you to quilt and sew in ..
    Thanks for reminding all of us ...
    Welcome back !!
    Old 02-03-2014, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie
    Oh Jill, you and irons just don't get along. Isn't that how you burned your foot was an iron? How well we remember your fire. The members of this board were so very generous with giving. You be careful and DON'T leave the iron plugged in, girlfriend. Luv U
    Oh, Donna, yes! I dropped my iron when I went to press a seam..it fell and landed right on the top of my foot. Nasty burn. Has left a scar across three toes and top of foot. That was about 5 months ago. I think I should take up a hobby that I only have to use glue sticks. lol.
    Old 02-03-2014, 08:18 AM

So glad you were close by when it started making noise. Glad you and your home are safe!
    Old 02-03-2014, 08:45 AM

Like all or most of you, I always unplug iron AND sewing machine (just in case there is power surge, even tho the machine is on a power strip.) I NEVER NEVER NEVER leave the house with the dryer running. My neighbor was doing laundry one day and her dryer caught on fire. Luckily she was home to call the Fire Dept. But she still had a lot of damage. Could have burnt her whole place down plus damage to neighbors houses. It seems that even though you keep your lint trap clean, some of it still manages to escape to the output hose. When dryer gets hot enough it CAN cause that to catch on fire..... better safe than sorry! unless you want a new house LOL !!! and r well insured.
    Old 02-03-2014, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by A1penny
    . . . You are right to warn everyone to be cautious…..we quilters use irons as a MAJOR tool. We can't be careful enough….! [/COLOR]
    Your "warning" should be plastered above our ironing boards or better yet, on the light switch or door jamb as we leave the room!

IT IS A VERY GOOD REMINDER TO TURN OFF EVERYTHING ELECTRICAL!!!!!