Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Had house fire last year. Remember me? >
  • Had house fire last year. Remember me?

• Had house fire last year. Remember me?

Old 02-03-2014, 10:53 AM

You have given us all pause with your experience. I, for one, will be mindful of the dangers of not unplugging. I am really bad about it. I do have my sewing machines plugged into surge protectors. One time a few years ago, we had a drastic drop in power and it did very major damage to the circuitry in my Bernina 1130. It was quite an expensive fix as the mother board and computer boards were damaged. But, unplugging will ease minds when away from the house.
    Old 02-03-2014, 11:12 AM

Horrible flashback - so glad you were there to "save the day"!
    Old 02-03-2014, 11:31 AM

I didn't read all the replies but a couple of comments:

1. I'm so glad you're OK!
    2. My sewing studio includes a kitchenette, including a range. I put my hot iron in the oven to cool. This is partly because I have cats who periodically clear my cutting / pressing table trying to jump to the cupboards, but also so I don't have to worry about fabric and other flammables. If you do this though, learn from my mistake: Years ago, I mean about 18 years ago now...I preheated the oven with grandma's iron in it. It sure wasn't ever the same after the oven let me know it was fully preheated. :-/ Now I leave the plug end of the cord hanging out so that I see it before I preheat.
    Old 02-03-2014, 11:33 AM

Oh My!!! How devious!
    Old 02-03-2014, 11:37 AM

Yes...it did. But I had it in my hand when all this happened. It scared the crap out of me. Sizzling and popping. I couldn't get to the plug fast enough. The first thing I did was pick up my puppy and kiss her all over.
    Old 02-03-2014, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Yooper32
    Do you ever think that possibly, that quilt pattern is not the one for you? I think I would let that pattern go by the wayside and start something else. I know, crazy, but that is my thoughts.

I made that same reference earlier...in joking.
    Old 02-03-2014, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Caswews
    Every since you had your housefire, I started unplugging my iron all the time now .. DH thinks I am nuts; which is ok by me !LOL but if it will save a fire I am all for it.
    I do hope your new digs are sufficient for you to quilt and sew in ..
    Thanks for reminding all of us ...
    Welcome back !!

thanks ...bless you.
    Old 02-03-2014, 11:42 AM

Glad your damage was not severe! I never leave appliances plugged in, either. Things are so cheaply made these days, I don't trust them to not ignite. So glad you weren't hurt; I remember your fire. Have you had the wiring checked by the fire department? When we tried to sell our previous home, we discovered some of the wiring in the box was done incorrectly, even though it had been inspected and it had to be redone.
    Old 02-03-2014, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by borntoquilt
    Like all or most of you, I always unplug iron AND sewing machine (just in case there is power surge, even tho the machine is on a power strip.) I NEVER NEVER NEVER leave the house with the dryer running. My neighbor was doing laundry one day and her dryer caught on fire. Luckily she was home to call the Fire Dept. But she still had a lot of damage. Could have burnt her whole place down plus damage to neighbors houses. It seems that even though you keep your lint trap clean, some of it still manages to escape to the output hose. When dryer gets hot enough it CAN cause that to catch on fire..... better safe than sorry! unless you want a new house LOL !!! and r well insured.
    A few years ago...my daughter had her washer going and there was a drip of water out the back... and it shorted out the electric wires...and you can guess the rest!
    Old 02-03-2014, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo
    Glad your damage was not severe! I never leave appliances plugged in, either. Things are so cheaply made these days, I don't trust them to not ignite. So glad you weren't hurt; I remember your fire. Have you had the wiring checked by the fire department? When we tried to sell our previous home, we discovered some of the wiring in the box was done incorrectly, even though it had been inspected and it had to be redone.
    No...I was a renter of that house for 20 years. It burnt to the ground. I am now in an apt. with smoke alarms and ceiling sprinklers all over the place. Even in the closets.