• Had someone want me to give an estimate on a quilt

• Had someone want me to give an estimate on a quilt

Old 12-15-2010, 09:14 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

All reasons I no longer sew for people...just for myself..LOL
    Old 12-15-2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
    All reasons I no longer sew for people...just for myself..LOL
    Did you ever sew for a bride? It only took once to know I would not do it again. :thumbdown:
    Old 12-15-2010, 11:07 PM

I try not to do anything for a friend that I want paid for. Usually you lose a friend or some kind of resentment forms and things go sour. If you did something for a friend of a realitave, especially at work, and they have paid you and then they get upset about something they usually tell everyone their woes except you. I made a doll for a "friend" at work who had transferred to another town. The price was agreed upon to begin with and since I considered her a friend I went ahead and sent the doll to her. She never paid me So when she had a chance to come back and work in my office, my boss asked me if I had any objection. I told her that yes I did. So they didn't hire her to work in our office. She finally got a job in cleaning. Did I feel bad about it? Ha
    Old 12-16-2010, 01:11 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by drgranny
    I try not to do anything for a friend that I want paid for. Usually you lose a friend or some kind of resentment forms and things go sour. If you did something for a friend of a realitave, especially at work, and they have paid you and then they get upset about something they usually tell everyone their woes except you. I made a doll for a "friend" at work who had transferred to another town. The price was agreed upon to begin with and since I considered her a friend I went ahead and sent the doll to her. She never paid me So when she had a chance to come back and work in my office, my boss asked me if I had any objection. I told her that yes I did. So they didn't hire her to work in our office. She finally got a job in cleaning. Did I feel bad about it? Ha
    Friends and relatives are the most difficult people to do "paid" work for.
    Old 12-16-2010, 04:31 AM

Wow, I wouldn't even attempt it for that price! I agree with Jan in VA. I don't like it when I am asked,I am not very good yet, but that doesn't stop them from asking. I want to do this because I want to not because of the money.
    Old 12-16-2010, 05:10 AM

I only do quilts for people I love. I realize many here do this for a living but when I spend so much money and time hand quilting ,My husband is really the only person who knows what I put into something I make. I would just tell this man that you are very busy right now and let him go.
    Old 12-16-2010, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
    My mom also thought my price was unrealistic. She said I should just charge for the materials. Sorry, but my time and effort is certainly worth something is what I said to her. Now she wants a wallhanging with the primary color being a true dark red without it being too orangey or too brown and no wild print/pattern but not a solid either. That is headache in the making for when I start looking.
    In this case, for Mom, I'd make a list of what SHE should buy and send her to the quilt shop.
    Old 12-16-2010, 05:37 AM

Remember one time I made a wedding dress for someone many years ago (early eighties) and a chappie came in to collect a dress I had made for his wife for their daughter's wedding. He asked me if I would mind telling him how much I had charged to make the weddding dress and I told him $400.00. He said "you're joking, I have just paid $400.00 to hire the wedding dress for our daughter for just one day. Imagine $400.00 per dress per day every week-end to hire out. Gotta be money in that but so boring. Gleniveve
    Old 12-16-2010, 06:40 AM

Everyone has 24 hours in their day. Perhaps this guy should learn to sew and make his own quilt. If he wants to spend $200 then he needs to settle for something from China. I'm tired of giving my time away for people who don't appreciate the quality they receive. Life is too short...:-)
    Old 12-16-2010, 07:07 AM

Thanks for the laugh!

Originally Posted by Ritacarl
    Prostitutes get paid why can't I?