• Main
  • Half Square Triangle help needed..... >
  • Half Square Triangle help needed.....

• Half Square Triangle help needed.....

Old 02-23-2010, 11:57 AM
    Dix

Originally Posted by ToucanSam
    Originally Posted by sewingladydi
    Draw your lines on the lighter piece. There's no reason to draw on the darker fabric. Draw your center line and then draw another line 1/4 inch on both sides of that.

Will try that. But don't they make a ruler that is half inch wide just for this? (Too early to go the store and look!)
    :)
    I took a class last week and the teacher was adamant about scant 1/4 inch seams. Most machines, you can move the needle so slightly that you get a scant one. She also said a "scant" is a needle width to the left of the seam you are doing, or have marked. Elanore Burns has a wonderful square ruler, that when you put it on the seam of your stitched 1/2 triangle and trim it will be a perfect size. Hope this makes sense.
    Dixie
    Old 02-23-2010, 03:14 PM

I have the quarter inch ruler, it's wonderful
    Old 02-24-2010, 11:22 AM

I draw three lines and I have a small ruler I think it is 6 x 9 and it has a 1/4" line on it and it works perfect. I will have to check my other rulers to see if they have the 1/4' line.
    Old 02-25-2010, 04:39 AM

At Wal-Mart they have a June Tailor contraption "Perfect Half-Squar & Quarter-Square Triangles ($12.97). Along the sides (one side for marking and the other side for cutting). On the marking side you line the blue line up with the point and draw your lines in the slots on either side of the blue line. On the cutting side, you line the cutting slot up with the points and the dash lines up with your stitching. I just bought one and it works great, much better than those little narrow rulers.
    Old 02-25-2010, 06:29 AM

I love making half-square triangles. I use Fons and Porter's 1/2sqtriangle ruler. Ruler - corner to corner, draw two lines, put a pin on either side of the line, sew on the lines, cut thread, cut dow the middle, iron to the dark and VOILA!!!! half-square triangle! F&P sells the rulers in two sizes per package. I gave my long one to a quilting neighbor and I use the littler one all the time. It is 8" long. It is the best quilting tool there is, except for an orange stick for pushing seams down. Edie
    Old 02-25-2010, 04:24 PM

June Taylor has a Quick Cut ruler out now just for half and quarter square triangles. I bought one and don't know how I ever made triangles without it. They sell them at Walmart and JoAnn's for a little over $11.00.
    Old 02-25-2010, 04:31 PM

I have two add-a-quarter thin rulers, and I do use them for this. It works great!!
    Old 02-25-2010, 05:16 PM

I was at a quilt store in Frankenmuth Mi and saw a template that made HST's. It was the size of 1 1/2x11 inch paper.You put it on your material drew in the lines sew and cut. It came in different size triangles. I didn't buy it but wished I would have bought one to try out. I can't remember the name of the maker though. The owner demoed it and it looked like it would work quite well. Maybe I can try calling and find out the name. If anyone knows let me know.
    Old 02-25-2010, 06:09 PM

I start with my square a tad bit bigger than the directions call for. The chain peice through the squares. Then the last step is using a Bias Square ruler to square up the finished product after cutting the squares apart.

I was given one of those 1/4 line rules and find I just don't need it. Just more 'stuff' for me to keep track of.
    Old 02-25-2010, 06:45 PM
    Power Poster

I just posted my tutorial for making easy HSTs. It doesn't matter what size your seam allowance is as long as you sew a straight line. Take a look at it and see what you think.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-37915-1.htm