Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Half Square Triangle help needed..... >
  • Half Square Triangle help needed.....

• Half Square Triangle help needed.....

Old 02-25-2010, 06:54 PM

I just cut my squares about 1/2 inch bigger than needed, iron one square into a triangle, and sew on each side of the iron line. I start one way, then flip the triangle around to get the other side (flip it 180 degrees). Then I cut them apart and square them up. Perfect every time ...

Rachel
    Old 02-25-2010, 07:23 PM

I use the Quick Quarter and it comes out great every time
    Old 02-25-2010, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Originally Posted by Kyiav10
    Just turn the squares around to opposite corner you started with.

Kyia
    Yup, I think this is what you need to do. Sounds like you don't have any problem doing one of the lines, but you might be eyeballing it on the other side. All you need to do is turn your piece around so you're sewing just like you were on the first side.
    All I mark is the diagonal line from corner to corner. Then I use the quarter-inch presser foot placing the edge on the drawn line. I chain piece all sets and then turn around and go down the other side.
    Old 02-26-2010, 02:47 AM

There is a notch on my presser foot and, when placed on the drawn corner-to-corner line, I get a "scant" 1/4" seam. As suggested, just turn your fabric and sew on other side of line. Also, if you want to go to the expense, you can purchase "paper-type" strips that have the solid line marking with the 1/4" marking down both sides which makes for perfect stitching. The paper is then torn away. Saw it at a quilt show yesterday. Going back today and I will try to get the name of the product.
    Old 02-26-2010, 09:18 AM

I use my 1/4" foot and sew on both sides of the center diagonal which I use a very fine chalk line, I think I turn it, so I have the view. I think a scant 1/4" is usually recommended.
    Old 02-26-2010, 12:00 PM

Go to www.pambonodesigns.com and look at her product called Angler2. It's a sheet of plastic with sewing lines that you tape over the throat plate. Place your fabrics on the correct lines and sew your angles without using pins or drawing lines. I just used it on her pattern for trucks and rarely had to unpick seams. The pattern had 24 wheels, 13 pieces to each wheel and I didn't draw lines or pin any of the angles of the wheels.
    Old 02-26-2010, 01:13 PM

I did go back to the Quilt Show today and they had "sold out" of those "stitching lines." That is what the product is called--"Stitching Lines." She does not have a web site so a person would have to wait until next year's show. She travels to other quilt shows.
    Old 02-26-2010, 02:29 PM

Hello, I only draw 1 line down the center of the lighter fabric...then I put the little lip of the quarter inch foot on the line stitch with the lip following the line....sew off the fabric a little turn the fabric the other direction letting the lip follow the line again and its stitched 1/4 inch from the drawn line on both sides of the lines.....then I cut fabric on the drawn line and you have 2 half square triangles...I also orginially cut the squares 7/8 inch larger than needed....that way after you cut on the drawn line and press....use the 6 1/2 square ruler and put the line down the center diagonial and square up the block to the size needed...
    Old 02-26-2010, 07:10 PM

I have a June Taylor Perfect Half and Quarter Square Triangle. It helps with drawing the sewing lines on the squares, then it has a cutting line for cutting between the sewing lines. It also has a squaring up section to it for different sized squares. I found a demo for it on You Tube and was sold. It is one of my most useful rulers.
    Old 03-02-2010, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Aurora
    At Wal-Mart they have a June Tailor contraption "Perfect Half-Squar & Quarter-Square Triangles ($12.97). Along the sides (one side for marking and the other side for cutting). On the marking side you line the blue line up with the point and draw your lines in the slots on either side of the blue line. On the cutting side, you line the cutting slot up with the points and the dash lines up with your stitching. I just bought one and it works great, much better than those little narrow rulers.
    This June Taylor product is also wonderful for squaring up your blocks after you've made them.
    I have computer disc called "Triangulations: Half Square and Quarter Square" by Brenda Henning (Bear Paw Productions). It's like Thangles, but you can just print out the size and number you need. After sewing my HST with these, I use The June Taylor "contraption" to square them up. This has taken a lot of the headache out of HST for me.