Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hancocks of Paducah - Update >
  • Hancocks of Paducah - Update

• Hancocks of Paducah - Update

Old 04-02-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
    I ordered from them for the first time about two weeks ago - two items. I thought they were pretty slow but the package finally arrived. Only one of the items was in the package and the other was backordered. I was really annoyed since they didn't tell me that when I ordered. They gave me no idea when to expect the second item. I sent them a note and asked about the timeline, and also asked why they didn't offer me an easy way to cancel the rest of the order. The reply was that they didn't know when I would get it and that I couldn't cancel by computer - I would have to call.

I replied and told them that I was dissatisfied by the response and by the expectation that I should have to make a special call to cancel when they can take the order and my money by computer. Then I canceled (by email) and don't plan to order from them again.
    I had an item that was backordered, no estimate on delivery date. But in my searching, several places had discontinued the item I ordered. I didn't expect to ever see it. Three or four months later it showed up...no email, just happened to see the debit in my bank account. I didn't have very good experience with their customer service either. Ask a question and the answer didn't go with the question. Love their catalogs, but haven't shopped there since.

Like others have said, many places will ship so quickly I'll have my order in 2-3 days.
    Old 04-02-2010, 02:33 PM

thank you... I really thought these were a chain of stores. So if I were to write and comment politely, it would seem now that it would be a waste of writing snce the manager of the store is the one that would get it and she's not really the most pleasant of people to be around.

Ahhh the delight of finding quilting fabric within a decent distance. But there's always the interest and there are online stores that have the very same first fabrics that sell for $9.50 in some of the sites and $7.45 in others. But thank you for bringing that to my attention. Never to old to learn something new.
    Old 04-02-2010, 03:44 PM
    Power Poster

It's not all bad out there. I ordered a cutting mat, kaleidoscope ruler, a ruler and some rotary cutter blades. I was horrified when I realized I had ordered two kaleidoscope rulers. I sent Hancock fabrics an E mail and they fixed it in one day. I wasn't charged for the second ruler and got my order in four days. It's not all bad.
    Old 04-02-2010, 04:15 PM

It's too bad they can't be more consistent with the customer service and processing their orders. They do have quite a selection of fabrics.
    Old 04-02-2010, 05:20 PM

I have never ordered from Hancocks of Paducah, but did go online and request a catalog. A couple of months went by and still had not received a catalog. I sent an e-mail and got a response apologizing and finally received a catalog. I was glad they responded, but thought that odd that it took so long to get one. Now I read all the reviews and it makes sense. Probably will not order from them. It is a shame because they really have a lot of wonderful fabrics.
    Old 04-03-2010, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
    It's too bad they can't be more consistent with the customer service and processing their orders. They do have quite a selection of fabrics.
    I agree. They have a great selection and good prices. I was looking for Kona cotton last night and kept going back to Hancock's because they have lots of it, but I didn't want to deal with the hassle of ordering from them and went elsewhere.
    Old 04-03-2010, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by mtnmama
    I have never ordered from Hancocks of Paducah, but did go online and request a catalog. A couple of months went by and still had not received a catalog. I sent an e-mail and got a response apologizing and finally received a catalog. I was glad they responded, but thought that odd that it took so long to get one. Now I read all the reviews and it makes sense. Probably will not order from them. It is a shame because they really have a lot of wonderful fabrics.
    Catalogs are expensive to mail out one at a time so most companies have to wait until they have enough requests to be able to mail the catalogs with some postal discounts. The post office doesn't want 100 catalogs (tiny example), they want 100 into one state, 100 going into one city, some large number going into one zip code, might be another discount if the first three number of zip code match - really fussy stuff. And the post office only gives those kinds of discounts if the catalogs arrive sorted and stuck together by elastic bands.

Sometimes you catch a company in between catalogs - they don't want to send you a left over old one and you might not get a catalog until the next one is printed.

They might have all their catalogs in some other building, in another city, at a special company that just gets catalogs into the mail, or even stored at the original printer's facility so Hancocks of Paducah might have to send a tape of names to that other company and that company prints out the names and addresses and postal codes and on and on and on.

Sending out a catalog only LOOKS easy: Here's my name and address, write it on the back of a catalog and put it in the mail!

Since I've purchased from them I get a catalog automatically (and it is a heavy catalog). I like having it because it shows more of what's in a line of fabric than most stores carry, even the ones online. Their sales prices are good and I can find some fabric there I can't find anyplace else. I haven't had a problem so far.

If they are messing things up they have to take their lumps like everybody else. If they keep messing up people will stop doing business with them. I like to think everyone can have a bad day now and then but sometimes enough is enough, and I understand that feeling, too.

Jois
    Old 04-03-2010, 12:13 PM

Good for you! I have never ordered from Hancock but do purchase most of my fabric on line. I have good luck with the Virginia Quilter and equilter just to mention two. You might want to try a smaller place than Hancock. Hopefully you'll get bedtter service. Good luck.
    Old 04-03-2010, 08:32 PM

Thank you, Scissor Queen, for clearing this up.
    Old 05-05-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by mtnmama
    I'm still waiting! I guess I need to email them too.