Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hand Applique >
  • Hand Applique

• Hand Applique

Old 05-12-2011, 01:46 PM

I was just wondering if any of you use a frame of some kind when doing hand applique? I've been ready alot lately and am considering doing the Hop To It quilt by hand instead of machine, and some people say that you really need a hoop. If so what type of hoop do you use.

Thanks
    Old 05-12-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by sharkee
    I was just wondering if any of you use a frame of some kind when doing hand applique? I've been ready alot lately and am considering doing the Hop To It quilt by hand instead of machine, and some people say that you really need a hoop. If so what type of hoop do you use.

Thanks
    Are you talking about a hoop to do the applique work or a hoop for quilting?
    Old 05-12-2011, 01:50 PM

For what it worth. do what works best for you and the project. I have work with and without. just what work for that project. Just have fun.
    Old 05-12-2011, 02:01 PM

I am talking about for the actual applique. I'm going to try fusible and just pinning using freezer paper. I have a grace frame lap hoop for when I quilt and I think it is to big for the block size that I'm doing, but I also have a qsnap frame and a few frames I used when cross stitching.
    Old 05-12-2011, 02:28 PM
    Power Poster

ive never heard of anyone using a hoop doing hand applique- i know there's a way to do machine applique with an embroidery hoop...but by hand--no hoop needed- all you need to do hand applique is a background and applique piece, a needle and thread- maybe a few pins

it would be close to impossible to stitch an applique onto a background square with it held stretched in a hoop
    Old 05-12-2011, 02:53 PM

I tried using a hoop when I first started appliquing, but it didn't help. I was trying to keep the background from rippling too much. In the end, I used freezer paper to help keep my pieces flat, and now that I know what I'm doing, I don't even use the freezer paper anymore.

Janet
    Old 05-12-2011, 03:27 PM

I do needle turn applique and I don't use a hoop. Hand quilting I do use a hoop. :)
    Old 05-12-2011, 05:29 PM

I don't think you can hand applique on a hoop..I could be wrong but I have not seen it in any books...I use needle turn now but when I started I used freezer paper and starched the seams down...I sort of grew into a new phase as I felt more comfortable and it became easier...when I first read to make seams less that 1/4 inch I thought that was crazy ...I thought more would have been easier, now I can handle a very narrow seam...it gets easier and easier...you have to experiment...I have tried pins...1/2 inch pins are good..I have used glue...I have tried the basting down method...I tried big needles, thin needles, long and short...all types of thread..e.tc...I took a lot of advice from Sue Garman's instructions and I found it to be helpful...my first attempt at applique was her Hugs and Kisses BOM on the Quilt show and my first 3 blocks were so bad I redid parts of them over...they looked good in the beginning,then as I got better, I realized how bad they were...
    Old 05-12-2011, 06:06 PM

I do a lot of hand applique, no hoop.

I use freezer paper for all but the very small pieces because I really like the nice edge I get from it.
    Old 05-12-2011, 06:34 PM

Thanks everyone.

Do you use a stabilizer on the back like you do when you machine applique? Or if I fuse it down will that be enough