Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hand Lotion >
  • Hand Lotion

• Hand Lotion

Old 10-14-2010, 09:10 AM

i have extremely dry skin. i put vaseline in a small egg poacher that i keep next to my bathroom sink - run very hot water in bottom, put on lid and when i get out of shower it's liquid. just dip your fingers in and it feels soooo good on my face, legs, arms, etc. you can also use extra virgin oilve oil. i also use a tsp of sugar mixed with olive oil as a face scrub. smooth skin!
    Old 10-14-2010, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Here is a great hand body lotion to make. I make up a big batch every Christmas for guild members. I buy pretty little tins/jars and everyone loves it. I use it at night and my skin is never dry, not even my feet.

All ingredients are Dollar Store General Brand. You may find the vitamin E cream and Vaseline in smaller jars but use 16oz each.
    The clean up is quick and not messy.

Between quilting and being a secretary most of my life, I love this idea, and so many times, making your own concoction is better than all the lotions in the stores. Thanks!!!!

Bottle of Baby Lotion (16 ounces)
    Jar of Vitamin E Cream (16 ounces)
    Jar of Vaseline (16 ounces)

Mix all together with mixer until light and creamy and put in containers.
    Old 10-14-2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by angelwatcher
    Originally Posted by aorlflood
    Originally Posted by featherweight
    Originally Posted by aorlflood
    Could someone post a picture of what they are calling "vitamin E cream" in the recipe?

Thanks!
    Here is exactly what I use for one batch of lotion. I purchased all ingredients at Dollar General.
    Thank you so much for the picture! Now I know what I am looking for! :)
    From the picture it looks like you only use 8 oz. of petroleum jelly, 16 oz of Vitamin E cream and 16 oz of skin lotion. Is that right or do you use 16 oz of the jelly too?

On a sad note, we don't have Dollar General stores here in Idaho. Will keep looking for the vitamin E cream. The cream I made last night from the cocoa scented petroleum jelly, and cocoa butter lotion with vitamin E added turned out okay for a night cream, abit greasy to use while in the sewing room. My hands were soft this morning.
    The original recipe that I have calls for 8 oz of Vaseline. 2 lotions and 2 vitamine E CREAM... Just llike the picture. Then I place all ingredients into mixer bowl, put on high for 10 minutes. I almost whips it. I have been using this recipe for a few years now and love it. If you use only one lotion and one vit E, I find that is a bit greasy. Mine soaks in pretty good.
    Old 10-14-2010, 09:39 AM

That's funny!!!!!

Originally Posted by Woodster
    Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Love this idea. Could you use those cute little quilted jelly jars?

it's thick enough to put in jars. I save the round jelly jars during the year. I buy food that come in jars by the prettiness of the jar. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    LOL :lol: :lol: I buy anything by the prettiness and/or shape of the jars... Thanks, it was a great comment. I am so glad to see I am not the only one that does this type of shopping.
    I used to buy wine by how much I liked the label (until my husband settled on one he really likes - and it's so cheap).
    Old 10-14-2010, 09:48 AM

My aunt introduced me to "Old Lady Cream"-she winters in Florida and this was one of their activity projects. Start with a bottle of baby lotion-she got all of her ingredients at Dollar General-add 1 jar of vitamin E cream and 2T of Vaseline then use a mixer and mix well-The mixture is not as greasy as usual hand cream. My mom adds a 2 or 3 tablespoons of lanolin for deep healing.
    Old 10-14-2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by wendsy
    My aunt introduced me to "Old Lady Cream"-she winters in Florida and this was one of their activity projects. Start with a bottle of baby lotion-she got all of her ingredients at Dollar General-add 1 jar of vitamin E cream and 2T of Vaseline then use a mixer and mix well-The mixture is not as greasy as usual hand cream. My mom adds a 2 or 3 tablespoons of lanolin for deep healing.
    This is just a smaller quantity of the recipe that we posted.
    Old 10-14-2010, 11:41 AM

This is not really hand lotion, but it works great. I won't use anything else. I believe I read about it in one of Harriet Hargrave's books and the product is Neutrogena Norwegian Formula intensive moisture wrap. She recommended it for free motion work. I also use gloves for free motion but not for piecing and handling the fabric. And sometimes I just don't want to wear gloves.

I use the fragrance fee product since I am allergic to fragrance. It is $10.00 at Walmart and takes a very small amt. It's not greasy yet leaves the hands kind of "tacky". I use it all over and keep a bottle beside my machine and one in my bathroom.
    Old 10-14-2010, 12:19 PM

One thing you can do to help your whole body not to dry out so much is simply drink an additonal 16-24 oz. of water daily. When my hands get dried out I use s layer of Avon's Moisture therapy with a layer of Avon's silicone glove on top. However, water is you best friend when the body parts are dried out. K
    Old 10-14-2010, 12:39 PM

I put the bag balm on a little heavy and then put my hands in a hot pack heated in the microwave.

Originally Posted by amma
    When my hands get dry, I use bag balm at night and gloves... then I don't usually have the need for lotion during the day :D:D:D
    Old 10-14-2010, 03:18 PM

I love the Camille Beckman creams. They have lanolin in them and the most wonderful smells. I especially love Pink Grapefruit, Gardenia and Orange Cream. They absorb right in and do not remain greasey. I used this when I worked in the flower shop and my hands would split open from working with the flowers. Just great.