Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hand Quilters - When do you quilt? >
  • Hand Quilters - When do you quilt?

• Hand Quilters - When do you quilt?

Old 12-04-2010, 09:53 AM

Oh, please don't feel guilty, for hand quilting is so gorgeous and what can make a quilt. Even more so than doing some of the other parts. Someday I hope to own a hand quilted quilt for I love them. Know it won't be done by me though because of too much nerve damage from chemo. I think too many women are made to feel guilty and that is not fair. Do what you love doing. Hugs Mary M
    Old 12-04-2010, 10:18 AM

i 2 have had chemo so far to nerve damage from mine i don"t have very much engery so that is why i can piece and hand quilt and save my engery for other things
    from arkansas
    Old 12-04-2010, 10:39 AM

I quilt in the evenings and late into the night whilst watching TV just like many do. I work full time and don't have much time to sew and quilt so I take turns with each and have a bit of a back log to catch up on! It is faster to sew than to quilt!! I may try my hand at FMQ once I pluck up the courage to do so as I would just hate for a quilt that I make being spoilt with terrible quilting!
    Old 12-04-2010, 12:53 PM

I do my hand work mostly in the evening too, like you, otherwise I feel guilty.
    Old 12-04-2010, 01:17 PM

Since I had cataract surg. several years ago my eyes get too blurry to quilt for more than an hour or so, even with breaks. It's so much easier to quilt by daylight than lamplight, even with good lighting, so I ususlly quilt during the day, and outside if I can!!
    Old 12-04-2010, 01:41 PM

I also hand quilt at night. I'm retired so it really should not matter when I quilt. I guess I am a creature of habit. I never cut or piece at night, only during the day. Strange.
    Old 12-04-2010, 01:42 PM

Hi I hand quilt whenever I get a chance sometimes its evening and sometimes during the day. My quilt is set up in my dining area and my back is usually to the TV but I can hear what going on in the background. I relax this way. I am retired but wonder how I had time to work. LOL
    Old 12-04-2010, 01:43 PM

When ever I want to.
    Being alone & retired allows it.
    I don't see any housework or dust.
    Do you???
    J J
    Old 12-04-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by grammyjo
    I'm a hand quilter and love it. But for some reason, I only quilt in the evening, while watching TV. Quilting in the daytime makes me feel guilty, like I should be doing some "housework" thing. I do piecing, cutting and all the rest during the day and that feels OK. But sitting, relaxing and quilting (just like reading a book), only happens in the evening. So I'm anxious to know when you quilt.
    I'm with you, only I work full-time, so I'm tired in the evening. However, I can't just sit still and watch TV. I must be doing something, & hand-quilting fills the bill quite nicely. Currently I'm quilting my Baby Jane - Jane's Journey. Should keep me busy for a while!!!
    Old 12-04-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by grammyjo
    I'm a hand quilter and love it. But for some reason, I only quilt in the evening, while watching TV. Quilting in the daytime makes me feel guilty, like I should be doing some "housework" thing. I do piecing, cutting and all the rest during the day and that feels OK. But sitting, relaxing and quilting (just like reading a book), only happens in the evening. So I'm anxious to know when you quilt.
    Hi Grammy Jo....moved to GA from Orlando just a year ago but on to the topic. I do my hand work in the evening as well. I get way too sleepy watching TV if my hands are not busy. But sometimes I do it in the daytime and like you feel a bit guilty and that is just silly since I am retired. I love hand piecing as you can do it about anywhere. I feel less guilty about sitting in front of the TV when I am doing handwork.